I didn't know this ctax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I didn't know this ctax

sam12
sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
Mh came out yesterday they said if I win pip or anyone the council tax is scrappedis this correct anyone else had this 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is not means-tested which means it will not affect any means-tested benefits :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are 'severely mentally impaired' you can apply to be disregarded for council tax purposes.

If you live with someone else you will get a 25% discount; if you live alone you will get a 100% discount.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    That's not exactly correct. If you live with no other adults then you'll receive 25% discount, this is known as the single person discount. You can also claim the single person discount if you live with certain people but it will depend on who you live with.

All local councils have their own criteria for council tax reduction.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    edited April 2019
    @poppy123456 - I was relying on Martin Lewis - the 'moneysaving expert' - who has been campaigning on this issue. Here's a link:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/09/due-a-council-tax-discount-for-severe-mental-impairment-heres-how-to-claim/

I think that the point is that if the only person at an address is disregarded there'll be no-one to send the bill to!
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Am only told by mental health workers I knew was catchy 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    To be categorised as 'Severely Mentally Impaired' I would imagine and hope that it should include those people who maybe have Dementia etc. I can't see how being anxious and/or depressed etc would fall into the category.

Best to have a word with the GP and ask him/her if they believe that you are SMI before making a claim.
  • cristobal
    @twonker - you're correct.

There's been a lot of publicity where I live (Wales) which tended to suggest that it applies to people with Parkinson's etc.

I looked into this and it covers those suffering dementia, Alzheimer's and the dementia aspect of Parkinson's (which some people get but not everyone)

The local authority get your GP to 'certify' that you are SMI...
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    cristobal said:
    @twonker - you're correct.

There's been a lot of publicity where I live (Wales) which tended to suggest that it applies to people with Parkinson's etc.

I looked into this and it covers those suffering dementia, Alzheimer's and the dementia aspect of Parkinson's (which some people get but not everyone)

The local authority get your GP to 'certify' that you are SMI...
    Thankfully they are doing the job right then. Otherwise if generalised anxiety, social anxiety and depression were allowed to come into the mix it would end up as a free for all.
    Martin Lewis sometimes as a habit of making things sound that everyone with any sort or level of mental illness is entitled to get a reduction in Council Tax.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, it's the same in England too. You won't be able to claim SMI for social anxiety or depression.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.