Severe Disability Premium sofa surfing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Premium sofa surfing?

bubba23
bubba23 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all

I currently get ESA and PIP. Never got the Severe Disability Premium as I live with someone. No one claims carers for me. Due to my mental illness I have put a lot of strain on the person I live with. They asked me to move out. I will be "sofa surfing" between my sisters house and and friends until I can get myself re-homed. I will only be living place to place but my sister or the person I used to live with would help me out by letting my revive letters to their house and give the address to ESA as my temp address. 

My question is when I go homeless in a few weeks (they gave me time to work out who can help) can I start claiming the Severe Disability Premium? I wont be living with someone fully just finding places to stay day by day until I am sorted. The extra Premium money would go a long way to help me find a place.

Thanks for the time.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bubba23 welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear about your current situation. In regards to your question, I am unsure. However, members of our community will know and will be in contact with you soon to advise :)

Have you heard of Shelter?
    Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support and legal services..
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I got told anyone so much as comes near you you get declined best seek advice from benefit place stay on there good side good luck 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Dotty123 said:
    I got told anyone so much as comes near you you get declined best seek advice from benefit place stay on there good side good luck 
    I have no idea who told you that Dotty but it's not correct. There are certain circumstances when living with other people that claiming SDP is possible.

In the situation of @bubba23 i'm unsure. However, as the sister is one of the ones they'll be sofa surfing at then i'm going to say that no, they won't be entitled to claim SDP BUT i will advise them to speak to a local advice centre near them for further advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dotty123
  • Dotty123
    Poppy how long do I give esa to sort my letter I got mine 17/4 they say they don’t have it doi contact tribunal that sent it 
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Poppy how long do I give esa to sort my letter I got mine 17/4 they say they don’t have it doi contact tribunal that sent it 
    It can take 10 working days for DWP to receive anything. On top of this it could take another few weeks for your payments to start. Backlogs cause delays with everything unfortunately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dotty123
    Why did I get my letter Easter Saturday I rang tues they havnt can I email tribunal who sent letter ask them to contact esa she wouldn’t even take my ref 
  • poppy123456
    DWP have 1000's of mail to process everyday, unlike us. When letters are sent to DWP they have to go through a mail sorting process first and this is why it takes longer.

There's no harm in contacting the Tribunal to ask if they contacted DWP but there's nothing more they can do and you may not even receive a response straight away from them either. Your payments re-starting can take a few weeks as i previously advised. There's also most likely bigger backlogs because of the Easter weekend too and that will only add to the delay.
  • Dotty123
    Ok thank you 
  • Dotty123
    My tribunal letter was sent out dated 17/4 I received it sat after good fri when rang dwp they said hadn’t got it do you think if I ring them in morning they will have it yet thank you x
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea, sorry.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.