Grants for Necessary Furniture — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grants for Necessary Furniture

Options
Roddy
Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
I have recently been handed over to the Universal Credit palaver, and it is they that now pay my awarded benefits. I am in receipt of PIP and ESA (not income related) and I recently applied for a Budgeting Loan to purchase a new Bed & Mattress as the one that I have must be at least 10 years old and was here when I moved into a Sheltered Accommodation facility. My provider will not pay for a new bed and I can hardly afford to purchase one myself. It is badly stained and the springs are poking through...

Anyway, having applied for the loan, I was refused, on the basis that I don't receive Income Related ESA, but surely due to my illnesses and disability needs I consider myself to be eligible for an item which lets face it is important for my health & wellbeing. 

My question therefore is: Are their any Grants or Loans available that I don't know about which I can claim for via Universal Credit or DWP?  As far as I can gather, you are not entitled if you're on Universal Credit, but I would have been before I was moved onto it, due to the benefits that I receive which fit the criterion (to the best of my knowledge, it is?)

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Roddy Have you used our Grants Chedker? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,027 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I see it was a budgeting loan through ESA that you applied for. They are correct by refusing your loan because it's Contributions based ESA you're receiving not income related and this doesn't entitle you to claim this loan.

What you should have applied for is a budgeting advance through UC. They're the same but slightly different names. How much you can borrow will depend on your circumstances. If you're single without children then it's £348 and if you have dependent children it's £812. Also if you have any other existing loans or if you asked for an advance payment when you first applied for UC and you're still paying that off then you won't be able to have the loan until the other one is fully paid off.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ami2301 & @poppy123456

That you both for your helpful assistance. I will follow your advice by contacting U. Credit and let you know how I got along with them. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You should have a look at feegle, gumtree and face book pages, can often find great value or freebies. We recently gave away a double bed on freegle nothing wrong with it but we had been given a new one.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.