work-related activity groups and carers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

work-related activity groups and carers

Options
Neilbigtime
Neilbigtime Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, I would be greatfull if someone in the know could give me some guidance on the following scenario.

A couple make a claim for universal credit, they have a severely disabled child on higher rate DLA who needs 24 hour care, one of the parents claim carers allowance, they both care for the child in excess of 35 hours, and tend to work in something similar to a shift pattern, would both parents be placed in the no work-related requirement group, or can only one  of the childs parents be placed in this group, with the other being placed in the work related activity group. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,228 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Only one person can be placed into the no work requirements group. If the other person is fit for work then they will be placed into the all work related requirements group.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Neilbigtime welcome to the community! Let us know if you have any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • benjamintolmer
    benjamintolmer Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    I think they both should be placed in the work activity group but in shift wise.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,228 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think they both should be placed in the work activity group but in shift wise.
    This is not correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @Neilbigtime. :)

@poppy123456 is correct and only one parent can be placed in the no work requirements a group and classed as a carer.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Neilbigtime
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi @Neilbigtime, I've just looked into this some more and there have been cases where discretion can be applied.

Labour Market regimes
    Claimants who provide regular and substantial care for at least 35 hours per week for a severely disabled person will be placed in the no work-related requirements regime. They will not be expected to look for or be available for work. This includes claimants who are entitled to the additional amount for carers and those people who care for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours per week, but do not receive the additional amount for carers. 
    It is worth speaking to your Work Coach/Job Centre about it. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Neilbigtime
    Options
    Hi @Neilbigtime, I've just looked into this some more and there have been cases where discretion can be applied.

Labour Market regimes
    Claimants who provide regular and substantial care for at least 35 hours per week for a severely disabled person will be placed in the no work-related requirements regime. They will not be expected to look for or be available for work. This includes claimants who are entitled to the additional amount for carers and those people who care for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours per week, but do not receive the additional amount for carers. 
    It is worth speaking to your Work Coach/Job Centre about it. 

Thank you for your reply, and further to this I was informed today by volunteer benefit advisor that there is nothing in the UC legislation that prevents two joint claimants caring for the same person, the test is whether they as individuals can satisfy the condition that they care for a severely disabled person in excess of 35 hours, and should they meet this test they would be placed in the appropriate group, and this should not require any discretion to be applied.

Unfortunately for me, I have been unable to find any consensus on this issue.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.