Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits

winnipeg
winnipeg Community member Posts: 18 Listener
hi I have recently been awarded pip I have been told I may be entitled to council tax reduction? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @winnipeg , i get a rebate on my council tax and i think it because i get pip.. i had to fill in a form online then send various documents by post, it only took a week or so to sort out. i'd ring your council and just ask.
  • winnipeg
    Ok thanks for that ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I got council tax reduction when awarded pip I was told by my council to ring once awarded which I did and they then adjusted my charge I didn't have to send anything to them as it was showing on their system 
  • winnipeg
    Is it my ch of a reduction? Mine is £164 a month which is killing me?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    The first thing I did was to fill out a online self assessment tool and then I downloaded the application form from the website to complete. After dinner I sat down at my kitchen table and collected my wits together before I started on the application form. It helped that I had a glass of wine on the table too as a source of support.
    My social worker checked over the form afterwards to make sure I had answered the questions properly. I provided a lot of information on my son’s disability and how much it affects his ability to move independently as well. Get someone else to read the completed form for mistakes. Follow any instructions given.
    Make sure that you understand each question. 
  • winnipeg
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It was quite a significant reduction but some was due to being in UC some for disability and my 25% reduction for living alone. Check out your local council website for details 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019
    I had to sent in documents to prove my savings, all councils are different , i wouldn't have been on their system as i don't claim housing benefit
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @winnipeg, it's difficult to advise on council tax reductions as every council operates differently and has different criteria. Your best bet is to contact your local council and ask. Best of luck! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • winnipeg
    Received  a copy of my assessment today 8 points Daisy living and 12 for mobility 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for updating us @winnipeg, do you feel it's a fair award? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.