Will this go against me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will this go against me?

KarenE65
KarenE65 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had my PIP assessment yesterday and was asked how long can I walk for in minutes.  I have said 5 but have realised it is much less than this, more like 2, but I do walk slow. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia.  Will this go against me. I get very confused and I'm fuming at myself for not thinking straight.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KarenE65 welcome to the community! Unfortunately, we cannot predict the outcome of your assessment. Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long for a decision!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • KarenE65
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    I think the general guide for walking distances is 30 metres per minute if walking very slowly so 5 minutes at a very slow pace would be 150 metres.
    It's not as simple as that however as other factors should also be taken into consideration ie pain, if you can walk xx distance repeatedly, or if you walked that distance once would you be unable to do it for the rest of the day.

• KarenE65
    Fetlock. I hope they think that when they are assessing me. Thanks for your answer

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    This is one of the questions that does take people unawares. The descriptor is for distance not tiime.

Generally accepted
    Normal pace is 90mtrs per minute
    slow walking - 60 mtrs per minute
    very slow  - up to 45 mtrs per minute

Even if you walk very slowly for 2 minutes you could manage maybe 90 mtrs and at best 4 points

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @ilovecats - could you explain the bit about walking for 5mins - 200m = B (4points)??

Surely, if you are walking that slowly - 40m/ minute i.e. half 'normal speed' - you won't satisfy the reliability criteria....

+ in a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as the maximum period that a non-disabled person would normally take to complete that activity

(... just interested as my assessor seemed to get in a muddle over this...)
  • KarenE65
    Hi everyone.  I have had a talk with my advisor from CAB and feel more reassured as I can always appeal the decision. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
  • Aura
    Aura Community member Posts: 43 Pioneering
    I bet my support worker a cup of tea if the first question I was asked is how I got there,  And guess what, that's what I was asked, I looked at my support worker and said with a knowing look, 'that's white with two thanks   .
    All women are equal.  Deeds, not words.
  • KarenE65
    Haha. My first question to.
  • Aura
    Their so predictable with that question, should have bet her £10!
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @aura - it's quite a good question to ask I would have thought, as it covers a lot of the criteria

Can you plan a route, work out which bus to get, walk to the bus stop?
    Or drive?
    Or did someone bring you?

And quite easy to answer as well!

• Aura
    I arrived on a chariot pulled four four white horses, accompanied by the the Praetorian Guard.  I drive people round the bend, and my slaves brought me....  Heil Ceaser!
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    ilovecats said:
    cristobal said:
    @ilovecats - could you explain the bit about walking for 5mins - 200m = B (4points)??

Surely, if you are walking that slowly - 40m/ minute i.e. half 'normal speed' - you won't satisfy the reliability criteria....

+ in a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as the maximum period that a non-disabled person would normally take to complete that activity

(... just interested as my assessor seemed to get in a muddle over this...)
    I should of added that the lower value is taken to work out approximate distance.

It does not matter so much about the speed if you can do it safely and repeatedly. If you could walk 500m quickly but then be out of action for a week, that would be unreliable. If you can walk around a supermarket slowly, but have to stop every 3rd aisle you’d most likely score c or d as long as you could do it again the majority of days.
    What if you can walk round a supermarket but only if using a supermarket trolley to support you, and pushing through the pain throughout?
    I think the 20-50m and 50m-200m descriptors are frequently not clear cut, not helped by the fact that there isnt any guidance in the assessment manual (that I could see last night) for 50-200m
  • Aura
    They bang on about football pitches and buses.  I've never seen a football pitch in my life, except on TV.  So it means nothing to me.
  • KarenE65
    I did state in an earlier question that we have to park as close as we can to.shops and that I needed a shopping trolley to help me walk.  It's so hard. You feel like you're lying and that they are trying to catch you out in a lie when you're not. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    For most of the questions I wrote about his inability to walk independently in public places and over long distances as well as the fact that he has a wheelchair and a physical therapist. Best of luck. My advice is to answer the questions as best as you can possibly do. 
  • KarenE65
    I did but I get so confused. Never mind. Thanks for your reply. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    A shopping trolley isn't classed as an aid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KarenE65
    I'm sure when I said I used the shopping trolley the assessor took this as being an aid. I said I use a walking stick and she said not to use a stick as it can damage you're hip but I find it steadies me. I am just so confused.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.