Any advice for tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice for tribunal?

sarah170
sarah170 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My Son has his PIP Tribunal on Friday, does anyone have any advice.

Sarah x

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    be honest, take as much information you have, even if you have sent it all in, as note are always good to have,

write a list of everything you wish to say, have bullet points on dates and time and any relevant information, stay calm, these are independent and are on your side, the side of truth and justice, so nothing like a assessment.

if you need a break for any reason, ask for it, even if it's just to clear your mind and get your head together, good luck, fingers crossed for the both of you
  • elmojames
    elmojames Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi my wifes just got her assessment and gone down from 30 points to 8 even though her condition has worsened in the last three years even gone through breast cancer and radiotherapy finally managing her depression  but now this decision has knocked her back to square one forever in tears now having to force her to take medication they just don't know what distress they have caused they just don't care sent my appeal off but in the letter says taking mobility car off us cant get her on a bus im worried now she wants to give up
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    sorry to hear the bad news, but also your not alone, seems its happening to more and more, i myself scored 0, which make me laugh, as 5 assessments later and now i'm cured lol, the thing is, the are making it harder and unless you are prepared to fight it, you need to stay strong, as weakness is what they want, people not doing the forms again and saying no, i dont agree see you in tribunal, yes it heart ache and stress and tbh will destroy most peoples saving if any, for me if it takes 2 months i'll be fine, but if it takes 6 months to a year to appeal and get it over turned again as did it 12 years ago on same grounds, i will be in so much dept by then, the toll it will have taken won't just be financial either, mentally i'll be a wreck and no idea on what it will do to my partner, through no fault of her's or mine either tbh, and in the end, you don't even get a sorry we was wrong, nothing just see you again in 4 years or less, the DWP is no longer fit for purpose, unless it's to kill off more and more, which then it's doing a great job, we are the forgotten few, well not so few as quite a lot it's happening to, but seems less and less care any more, anything happens anywhere in the world on any subject and that makes the new, but 107k deaths since 2012 from failed assessments, and that's from the DWP website and release for 2018, so will be alot more by now, doesn't get even one front page, middle page or the news in general. seem we aren't even news worthy even in death,...
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck for the assessment. My first piece of advice is to take detailed notes. Our first assessment was less than perfect. I quietly read the assessment report that was sent to us afterwards and I was shocked to see the number of lies in there. It is seriously a mess. That’s for sure. I have had to reduce the number of hours I spend working for starters. I am dreading the day when I’m asked to renew my claim and keep the car.
    I circled every piece of information in the report that was contradictory to my original statement as a start and then I involved a social worker. She was a walking mine of information and support. What I will do differently this time around is to ask her for help before I start the process of reapplying for DLA. 
  • sarah170
    Thank you for all your advice.
    I have made lots of notes, just got to keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed.
    Sarah x
  • Aura
    Aura Community member Posts: 43 Pioneering
    ask her for help before I start the process of reapplying for DLA. 

Sorry to be rude, but DLA is being phased out isn't it?

All women are equal.  Deeds, not words.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Aura said:
    ask her for help before I start the process of reapplying for DLA. 

Sorry to be rude, but DLA is being phased out isn't it?

DLA no longer exists for those aged between 16 and 65.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sarah170
    My son's tribunal was canceled. Hopefully we won't have to wait another 8 months.

Sarah x
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    sarah170 said:
    My son's tribunal was canceled. Hopefully we won't have to wait another 8 months.

Sarah x
    Hi sarah170  I had my tribunal cancelled in Jan 2019. I had been waiting for over a year and then had it cancelled, due to lack of evidence. I had to sign a letter to give the tribunal access to my medical records, even though I had sent in all the medical notes that was sent from the doctor. They also asked for my old DLA records, from 14 years ago. Around mid February, I recieved the copies of my old DLA award but no medical records. I am still waiting and it has been  3 months. I know that there must be thousands of people in the same situation but this has been nearly two years of stress.
    I hope that you aren't waiting too long...good luck!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @sarah170, so sorry to hear your son's tribunal was cancelled. Did they give a reason for cancelling it? 
    Fingers crossed you won't be waiting too long for another!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.