DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

Keith48
Keith48 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi just a quick question if i may, i was 65 on the 15/07/2013 and have been on higher rate mobility allowance for an indefinate period (having been on it for 30 years) with ankylosing spondylitis, i also have heart problems (got a pacemaker) and recently developed pulmonary fibrosis.
at the moment i am still on DLA but need to know if i will have to apply for PIP as I am now nearly 71 can anyone please help
keith

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes, you will eventually be invited to apply for PIP because you are just outside of the age cut off which is 65 on 8th April 2013.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Keith48 said:
    Hi just a quick question if i may, i was 65 on the 15/07/2013 and have been on higher rate mobility allowance for an indefinate period (having been on it for 30 years) with ankylosing spondylitis, i also have heart problems (got a pacemaker) and recently developed pulmonary fibrosis.
    at the moment i am still on DLA but need to know if i will have to apply for PIP as I am now nearly 71 can anyone please help
    keith

Hi, Unfortunately and as Poppy has pointed out you missed the cut off point by three months. As such you will be transferred over to PIP at sometime in the future.

It is important to remember that how and why you were awarded DLA matters not with PIP. PIP is assessed in a totally different way. I would suggest you do some reading about PIP so that you can understand the system
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

I too have Pulmonary Fibrosis amongst many other issues. The impact on my life with this condition is controlled by way of the 'puffer' As such there were no PIP descriptors that I could use to gain any points. I have also been diagnosed with Angina which is also to be controlled by a GTN spray so in my case once again the impact of this condition on my life is minimal due to it being medicated.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Although DLA and PIP are different benefits with different criteria, when you make the initial phone call you should be asked if you want your DLA information taken into account. If you are not asked and having read the PIP descriptors, you think that it has merit then you should ask for it to be included
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Keith48

A very warm welcome.

I might have some good news for you.

At this moment in time the DWP is reviewing how it “review’s” PIP claimants over state pension age.

In particular those pensioners who are currently awarded enhanced for both components.

Also the rollout of PIP was due to be completed by 2016, the latest predicted date is 2023.

Keep us informed.

Best wishes
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @Keith48

A very warm welcome.
    I might have some good news for you.
    At this moment in time the DWP is reviewing how it “review’s” PIP claimants over state pension age.
    In particular those pensioners who are currently awarded enhanced for both components.
    Also the rollout of PIP was due to be completed by 2016, the latest predicted date is 2023.
    Keep us informed.
    Best wishes
    I understood that the DWP aren't reviewing how they review claimants over SRA. According to the statement made by M/s Rudd and confirmed by Tomlinson ALL 280,000 claimants over pension age will be given a 10 year award with a soft touch being applied at the 10 point in time.
    What you are suggesting is reviewing awards for everyone who is getting that level of award and has substantial difficulties that will never improve. That statement was made by the DWP back last year.

Personally the first part of that for the pensioners will never happen, not 280,000 of them it will cost the Treasury too much money. The age of a claimant plays no part in a PIP decision. So what Rudd is proposing cannot happen. In fact it would be discriminatory. 
    As for the second part I agree, if there are claimants of any age that do have that level of award etc then they should get an automatic 10 year award.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.