Horror stories — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Horror stories

mancsean
mancsean Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello

I just received my text saying 

We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 6 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you.

After reading all the stories on here I've already set my mind to thinking I'll get nothing 

Is it always that bad or am I just reading the horror stories as the people who get it dont come on forums and say so it's the people that dont 

I really need this and I'm in desperate need of transport 

I had a stroke which left me brain damaged and with a lot of mental health issues also like anxiety and depression and suicide attempts even on top of physical problems and blindness 

I hope but know I'll be in that boat 

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @mancsean
    You can request a copy of the assessors report from the DWP this will give you a guide as to how you have been scored.I recommend that you phone them and do this as if you have been declined it will give you plenty of time to work out what to do if you have to ask for a reconsideration. It may not be as bad as you think.
       Debsidoo.x

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I know how you feel, I had my assessment at the beginning for April, my Son called for a copy almost 3 weeks later and the DWP said they hadn't sent it to them yet, so she requested it. I'm also thinking that my PIP will stop, pretty much due to the horror stories, I was awarded it with no problems the first time around.
  • mancsean
    How long does that report take time arrive 

And is it up to 6 weeks for a decision or can it be sooner?

Thank you 
  • mancsean
    debsidoo said:
    Hi @mancsean
    You can request a copy of the assessors report from the DWP this will give you a guide as to how you have been scored.I recommend that you phone them and do this as if you have been declined it will give you plenty of time to work out what to do if you have to ask for a reconsideration. It may not be as bad as you think.
       Debsidoo.x

Sorry new to this 

Is it usually quicker than 6 weeks and is that more a maximum time scale? It's making me sick all this 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As advised, you can request a copy of the report to be sent to you, if you live in the UK. They mostly go with this, so when you receive add up the recommended points by looking for the boxes with dots/ticks and use the PIP descriptors to add them up.

There's no timescales for decisions, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. The text you received is a standard text they send everyone. Waiting times can be anything from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Hopefully not too long. If you disagree with the decision then you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the mandatory reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mancsean
    I have just spoken to them and they are sending me a copy of the report out to me

So from this I can then hopefully work out the decision myself then? 

He said he is sending it today for me and hopefully will be with me by the end of the week 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Mostly they go with the report yes, it's rare to go against it but it can happen. You will of course have to wait for the decision for confirmation. The report is just a recommendation.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mancsean
    Mostly they go with the report yes, it's rare to go against it but it can happen. You will of course have to wait for the decision for confirmation. The report is just a recommendation.
    So when I get this report is it easy enough to see that what they are awarding? Sorry I'm not that great with forms and things like this

Will it have a recommendation on it for the award then clearly put or do I need to work it out myself?
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    I often think forms are thought out by people who have too much.time on their hands.
    Like people who think out games that they want people to strugle with so they make the rules difficult to make us work hard to get to a higher level 
  • mancsean
    Misscleo said:
    I often think forms are thought out by people who have too much.time on their hands.
    Like people who think out games that they want people to strugle with so they make the rules difficult to make us work hard to get to a higher level 
    I hope not as going through this stage has been about my limit of stress and sickness 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Misscleo said:
    Interesting observation. But I think that the answer is something simpler. Obviously the DWP keep a careful eye on the number of successful claims and if that figure is increasing beyond what they want to see or expect they would want to tighten up the criteria to keep the numbers in check. Twice they have done this or attempted to. They wanted to reduce the value of aids from 2 points down to 1 point. Too many claimants were being awarded the standard rate of care based entirely on having simple aids. That was eventually thrown out and the DWP had to back track. Then they changed how the mobility descriptors were being used. They attached a phrase of 'unless due by overwhelming anxiety' That cut short those that were claiming just on the basis of having anxiety only.

They regularly are looking for ways to make awards more difficult to obtain year on year.

The DWP seem to have learned the lesson of what happened to DLA and why it was scrapped.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.