Is it worth doing a mandatory reconsideration? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it worth doing a mandatory reconsideration?

CeltJules66
CeltJules66 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,
I’m Julie.
 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2014, and am on lots of medications.
Ive been on DLA and then the high grade of PIP care.
I recently had a PIP assessment, which had been awarded until 2020, and they have stopped it.
I also have?Ankylosing Spondylitis, and am on Codeine and Morphine.
 I feel really down about the loss of PIP.
Is it worth doing a mandatory reconsideration?
The assessor didn’t tell me her health professional role, but know from a friend she’s a paramedic.
A great job, but surely not an expert in chronic illness?
Quite gobsmacked by the decision.

Comments

• CeltJules66
    Sorry, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2004, not 2014 ?‍♀️
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @CeltJules66 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear this.

I am one of the team of community champions. Who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

We have lots of information on Appeals you need to do a Mandatory Reconsideration.  On our website please have a look.

I do understand what you going through.  As many members of our community have the same experiences.

They might be in touch as will a member of our team to offer further support.

I would consider speaking to CAB for any additional advice and information.

On Appeals and MR.  They can help with this.

Hope that helps you.

Please ask if we can help with anything further.   Some one will know a member of our team or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CeltJules66
    Hi @thespiceman,
    Thank you for your quick response.
    I only received the news this morning, and it’s really shocked me.
     I would love to work, I was a nurse for 20 years, but some days it’s a struggle to even get out of bed.
     I don’t understand how they can award you the high rate of care for years and then take it away, when the condition remains unchanged and the back problem is new.
    Feeling a bit sorry for myself, but that will pass.
    Many thanks to you for your reply and advice.
     I will have a good look x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @CeltJules66 and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear you received that news this morning. Please let us know if you need any advice about the process at all and we'll do what we can to help!

Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman

Hello @CeltJules66  Thank you for reply.

I as a member of this community and a community champion. Meet every day good valued members. Who have worked and need the help of the benefit system.

Who rely on this to live .

Now been failed by the system supposed to guide, help them to cope.

You need some reassurance some support you have come to the right place.

Please keep in touch.

If we as community can advise on anything.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CeltJules66
    Many thanks to you all for your support.
     I really appreciate it 
  • CeltJules66
    Hi,Ive received the letter turning me down for PIP, which I’ve had the higher ratio for care, as my son does a look for me, for years.
    Initially on high DLA.
    Utterly shocked to see I have no points.
     I kept copies of the forms I filled in, and what the assessor has put about me are blatant lies- there’s no other word for it.
    They said they made the judgment on my forms and the assessment, but nothing that I put on the forms is on there.
     I need help with food, bills etc and have terrible social anxiety and struggle to go out.
    Again, the assessor put I said I had no problems with this.
    The assessor didn’t even tell me her name or her job.
     I only know that she’s a paramedic because someone I know was assessed by her, and again she did the same to them.
    This has put me into a right depression and I haven’t slept since Friday.
    im going to talk to the crisis team tomorrow and my son is helping me with the Mandatory Reconsiderations letter.
    Mu last assessment I had about 14 points, and now zero, even though nothing has changed except for a degenerate back condition developed as well as the bipolar, for which I need morphine.
    Very shocked and stunned by getting zero points and wondering if there’s any point in appealing because of this? ? 
  • thespiceman

Hello @CeltJules66 Thank you for sharing with the community.

Please can I advise if you do not mind. What is important is to speak to your crisis team. They should have offered you some support in assisting you in the assessment.

Should have attended. With you .

I know this is painful, emotional and I do understand.

Is to remain calm. Find some solutions and answers to helping the problems and issues.

Read very carefully what you need to do for the MR and appeal.  We have a lot of information on our website. Please if you think your son could make some notes. Also this might help him or yourself.

If you think you crisis team are not helping or advising you right. You have the right to have what you want.

I have mental health issues and see and meet members of our community like yourself.  Often with similar stories every day or week.

Who are not getting the adequate care and being sometimes trapped in mental health system that is not fit for purpose.

You have rights to good mental health care. If it is not working for you then consider other options. Your in control of your health not them.

That the mental health you have it is trying to cope with what you have. Trying to have a life. I know all this. End of the day you probably will and should need some one to support you through this.

I am here to give you guidance, reassurance.

I use charities used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.  They offer floating support, outreach workers. Benefit and wellbeing guidance, advice and support.

This charity helped me with interventions with benefits something to consider.  I know this is difficult but sometimes finding and contacting  a charity I have stated might be useful here.

You could contact your Doctor who should be advising and helping your situation more.

All I can say is . I am here if and when if you need to ask anything further.

Pleasure to meet you.

Wish you well.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CeltJules66
    Hi @spiceman
    Really appreciate your support and advise.
    its very comforting.
    The Mental Health Services around me (Essex) are very difficult to reach out to.
    My GP surgery, has, under Virgin Care, gone into special measures (that’ll another story) and I never see the same Dr twice- in fact I don’t have a permanent GP.
    I’ve asked them 3 times this year to refer me to my psychiatrist, and 3 times they have failed to do so.
    I will contact the Crisis team tomorrow, as my mood has plummeted and I can’t sleep a wink.
     I will also approach the charity you have advised.
     Thank you again for your advice and support.
    It means a lot to me.
    Julie ?
  • MarkEdwards
    MarkEdwards Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Hello Julie, not practical help but I send wishes of success in whatever you decide to do, especially if you appeal against the decision. Kind regards, Mark
  • MarkEdwards
    I should add that the application for PIP must have been a very difficult response, I think you have been very brave in picking up the challenge!
  • thespiceman

Hello @CeltJules66  Please can I thank you for reply.

Thank you for sharing with me sometimes difficult problems and issues.

Much appreciated.

I do understand . I am aware of the whole systems of mental health.

I also do know regional areas are strapped and under funded over burden constantly.

Found lines of enquiry and support that I continue to pass on to members.

One is appoint an advocate. A charity called RETHINK do this. Basically it is another person to speak for you.  Before any appointments or assessments.

They will discuss what do you wish to say before any meetings with health services who ever they are.  Give there assessment some guidance.

I recommend them. They deal with people like yourself. Who is not being listened to.

Had a Doctor who gave me limited time .  Who ended up me having got no where. Bought in RETHINK  totally different now.

In fact used her for lots of guidance on my mental health.

Hence my user name. My interest in herbs, spices.  How these can effect and be used for mental health.

Lots of research on anxiety and depression.   Looking at diet, wellbeing and the rest.

Learning all the time.  Educating. I understand medication works fine. Always on that been told. I am always interested in looking at alternatives and different ways to deal with anxiety..  My own issues.

Including therapies, coping methods and strategies. 

Have a look around the forum plenty of my posts on the theme. Among others.  If that helps you something to look at.

Please keep in touch.

Please if I can help with anything please ask.

Wishing you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CeltJules66
    Hi @spiceman and Mark.
    Cant tell you how much I appreciate your support and help.
    Was feeling a bit isolated, but not any more.
    Shall call the Charity and my crisis team tomorrow.
     Thank you ??
  • MarkEdwards
    Hello again! Please never feel isolated! There is always someone here who can help, my technical support is limited so I just send you my friendship, support and encouragement. Yours from a kindred spirit! M
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @CeltJules66 welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear this, you may also want to get in touch with your local cab for advice and support. If you do appeal against the decision, we have some information, here.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
  • CeltJules66
    Thank you so much Antonia- really appreciate it ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.