PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

Options
grundyhe
grundyhe Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. I have nerve damage in neck and shoulder from treatment for thyroid cancer. I have been advised by a pain management consultant to reduce my hours to help manage my pain. I am single and cannot afford to do this if I don't get some benefits to help me  I have made a claim for PIP and sent off form and received a letter saying I didn't return it and claim is closed. I know I sent it and feel really annoyed.  I am going to call DWP tomorrow. Has this happened to anybody else?

Comments

• grundyhe
    Options
    Hi all. I have nerve damage in neck and shoulder from treatment for thyroid cancer. I have been advised by a pain management consultant to reduce my hours to help manage my pain. I am single and cannot afford to do this if I don't get some benefits to help me  I have made a claim for PIP and sent off form and received a letter saying I didn't return it and claim is closed. I know I sent it and feel really annoyed.  I am going to call DWP tomorrow. Has this happened to anybody else?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello @grundyhe Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear this. 

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

This does happen. Have you taken copies of the form.? Also might be advisable to do that.

Please can I also suggest have a look at our benefit advice on our website.

Might help you with anything additional you make need to know. Other benefits.

Another suggestion is to consider speaking to CAB. Have expertise and knowledge on benefits.  Useful with form filling in.

Please if we can help with anything. Please ask. Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @grundyhe and welcome

There is a deadline for returning a PIP application, if your form was received after that date then your claim will have been closed.
    You should seek help from an advice agency near you or you may consider making a new claim
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • grundyhe
    Options
    I sent the form back 2 weeks before the deadline so it cannot have been late. Thanks for the comments and advice. I will call the DWP tomorrow and see what they have to say. I photocopied the form so can easily fill it put again. I am hoping I don't have to start a new claim
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @grundyhe welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened. Do keep us updated and let us know if you have any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @grundyhe and welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this with us, I am sorry to hear this. Have you been in touch with the DWP? Please keep us updated.
  • grundyhe
    Options
    Hi, i contacted them today and they were very understanding. I have had to make a mandatory consideration. They have said I just need to send them as much info as I have with copies of consultants letters and they will then arrange my interview. I photocopied chunks of the form but not all of it. I explained I dont have all my answers to all the sections and they said that was okay. I am pleased i do not have to start another claim but it seems weird not to be giving them all the information. I offered to complete a second form but they said that is not necessary
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    We as it an adviser you spoke to? They don't always give the correct advice. It's always advisable to send things recorded delivery or even just with proof of posting. You can then tell DWP you have that and insist they look for your claim form. An MR is only done after the Face to face and after you've received a Decision letter with your award so I don't know why they called further communication an MR. Starting again is not too bad as you are still in the early stages of your claim so will only put you back a short period of time when you consider how long some claims take to process from start to finish. 
  • grundyhe
    Options
    yes it was an advisor and she spoke with her manager who suggested I send in a much info as I have and they will arrange the face to face interview. I am worried the assessor wont have much information when i have my interview. I have some really good letters written by doctors and consultants but do feel they have messed up. I am definitely going to send this recorded delivery
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    edited April 2019
    Options
    There has been an outcome decision and a letter sent and received to that effect, so a mandatory reconsideration (on lay rules) would be appropriate in this instance, and just a formality in the circumstances here.
    It might be worth ringing DWP again and asking them to do an advanced search. Sometimes forms that haven't been classified correctly for whatever reason can be found that way. It's worth a shot.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.