Moving out whilst on pip and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving out whilst on pip and ESA

confost98
confost98 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I'm planning on moving out of my parents house and into my own flat. The last time I lived alone I was getting both enhanced and severe disability premiums. I'm just wondering if I'd have to move onto universal credit or if I'm okay staying on ESA and claiming the premiums and if I'd be entitled to housing benefit if I did. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This is complicated but once you move out then you could put a claim in for the SDP providing you're going to be living alone or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you. Once this has been claimed you can then claim housing benefit. Usually a claim for SDP takes about 3-4 weeks and can be claimed over the phone by ringing ESA. Once a decision is made on that and it's been awarded you can then claim housing benefit and it can be backdated to when you moved into your flat.

If you claim universal credit when you move then all your benefits will transfer across and you won't be able to claim the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • confost98
    Thank you and yes I will be living alone and currently my mam claims carers allowance how would I go about canceling this and do you reckon the social housing company will be okay with waiting on the rent ? Thank you again BTW
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Your mum will need to cancel her carers allowance claim but this could affect any benefits she currently claims.

For your rent then you would need to speak to them, most landlords including social housing ask for rent before you move in or some kind of deposit. Do you have a flat ready to move into?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • confost98
    No I'm currently bidding online with a website called compass its basically council housing I'll have to ring my housing officer tommorow to see if I can do that and sort out housing benefit after I've been approved for sdp but thank you that's a massive weight off my shoulders 

• poppy123456
    No problem. Without your mum canceling the carers allowance then you won't be able to claim the SDP.
  • confost98
    Thank you again I'll sort it out today 

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @confost98
    just a quick bit of added info.Most Social Housing agencies have a designated officer to guide you through the benefits minefield.It May be worth ringing them and asking for an appointment with said officer before you move.They will take you through your options and it may give you a better idea as to what you can expect regarding waiting for rent,Housing Benefit etc.It can’t hurt to call them.Good luck.
          Debsidoo.x
  • confost98
    Thank you all I really appreciate it ??

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @confost98, no advice to add to the brilliant advice already given, so just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the community! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • confost98
    Thanks Adrian hello to you too 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.