1-1 Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

1-1 Assessment

sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
The DWP received my PIP renewal form on 9th January and three weeks ago I received a text saying that my claim was with a case manager. I have had a text this morning from DWP which said they were Independent Health Care Assessmentsl  formerly ATOS.  informing me that they have appointments in my area within the next seven days and to ring a number to make one. I’ve just phoned and they offered me appointment for tomorrow which I can’t make so I now have one next Tuesday 7/5. I’m surprised that after all this time of waiting the appointment for my assessment has been made so quickly. Is this what usually happens? TIA
of course my anxiety and worry have kicked in big time ? 

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

In all likelihood the appointment for tomorrow, would have been a late cancellation by a claimant.

The time factor is different around the country, so don’t worry.

Have you got anyone to take with you, to sit in the assessment?

Let us know if you need any further info.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @sheZZa welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear you have been feeling anxious and worried, a lot of our members feel this way. So please do not feel alone in this, we are here to support you. There's some information from the Citizen Advice website on preparing for your assessment 

It's good to know you had quick response concerning your appointment, as it can take some time with some.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing or if you have any questions, please let us know. :)

• sheZZa
    @atlas46 thank you for your reply. I’m glad that I don’t have to long to wait and I was expecting to hear from them anytime now. However, I wasn’t expecting to phone them to make an appointment, I was expecting them to send me one although this is better as I’ve been able to choose a time and date that suits me.

I do have someone to take with me. I wouldn’t be able to go otherwise.
  • sheZZa
    @Antonia_Scope  
    Thank you for your reply. I know these assessment was coming but it’s still an anxious time when they do. I think it’s how quick the appointment has been made from them contacting me that has surprised me although it is nearly 16 weeks since they received my review form. Thank you also for the link to the Citizens Advice website. All information is greatly appreciated. 

I will keep you updated x
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    sheZZa said:
    @atlas46 thank you for your reply. I’m glad that I don’t have to long to wait and I was expecting to hear from them anytime now. However, I wasn’t expecting to phone them to make an appointment, I was expecting them to send me one although this is better as I’ve been able to choose a time and date that suits me.

I do have someone to take with me. I wouldn’t be able to go otherwise.

There seems to be a consensus of opinion that claimants should take someone with them to these face to face assessments. I am due a review next May (1 year before the award date). At that time I will one month short of my 71st birthday and as time goes on and health deteriorates I am wondering if there is any mileage in having someone there (I don't particularly need anyone though) with me and in doing so improve my chances of another 5 year award? 
  • sheZZa
    I didn’t take anyone with me last time and I was awarded higher for both components. I’m taking someone with me this time as I’m not confident to go in on my pant more but I do understand what you’re saying xx
  • atlas46
    Hi @ilovecats

This is a test for your memory banks, during your training and working as a PIP assessor.

On page 25 of my PIP assessment report, the assessor is asked, “The claimant has a mental, intellectual or cognitive impairment and may need additional support to comply with future claim process.”

The assessor has a Yes or No answer and there is no free script area, for them to justify their decision.

What future assistance will the claimant get from the AP get, if the assessor ticked Yes, as recorded in my assessment report.

Many thanks, in anticipation.
  • atlas46
    Hi @ilovecats

Many thanks for your response.

Can I get back to you, tomorrow, your post has been most helpful.

Need a bit of time to inward injest.

Thank you.

Best wishes
  • sheZZa
    @atlas46
    @ilovecats
    I had someone from the DWP come to my house to help me fill out the form. I’m very confused already so goodness knows what chance I have of being successful.

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @sheZZa Thanks for your reply. you're welcome. I understand what you mean, when you're not expecting a quick response when you had a long wait. All the best and let us know how it goes. ;)
  • atlas46
    sheZZa said:
    @atlas46
    @ilovecats
    I had someone from the DWP come to my house to help me fill out the form. I’m very confused already so goodness knows what chance I have of being successful

Hi

Could you provide more details, how the DWP, came to your house to help with your claim form.

Did they offer any other kind of support?

Would be most interested to learn.

Many thanks.
  • sheZZa
    @atlas46
    i had got in a terrible state trying to complete my review form and so I phoned the number at the top of the letter from the FWP and had a breakdown over the phone. The lady  was very patient and kind and said she would get someone to contact me who would then come to my home and help me to complete my form. A lady came a few days later and completed the form and took it with her to post to the DWP herself. I was/have not been offered any other help and I’ve asked for no other help. I wouldn’t know what to ask for lol. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited May 2019
    Oh I didn't know they did that!

I wonder how she filled the form out, what information she put on it etc.

Welfare Rights filled my review form in, I had the assessment 4 weeks ago, just waiting to hear back. I hope your assessment goes well :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I was once asked if i'd like help from a DWP representative to fill out my daughters PIP form when i first applied for her. My answer was... no thank you, i'd rather do it myself. I wouldn't trust any of those to help fill out any form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    ilovecats said:
    I would ask a 3rd party to read what they write. I once had a form that was ‘completed’ by a DWP representative, all they had done is ticked the boxes, they didn’t write single thing in the activity descriptor spaces! 

(I reported them)
    My first PIP2 was completed by a gentleman that worked for the JC+ (visiting officer!) I had to go to the local JC and arriving there I was told that it was on the 1st floor AND I was not allowed to use the lift. I had to walk through their office to the back (about 35 metres away). Obviously I struggled up two flights of stairs only to find that the room was above the entrance doors so had another 35 metres to walk. I had no idea what he wrote on it. I was on my own and he would not let me take it away to look at the completed form.

I ended up with my High Mobility/Middle Care DLA being downgraded to Standard Care PIP only. 

No doubt he would have put on the form that I managed to walk 70 metres and climb two flights of stairs hence no mobility element.
  • sheZZa
    @WF2k
    the lady from the DWP copied from the form I’d previously filled in but which I thought was wrong. After she had completed the form, I signed it without reading it.  She did not read it back to me either. I phoned DWP and told them and they sent me a copy. There were a few things omitted that I’d written but other than that it was exactly the same. It was a waste of time her coming really.
  • sheZZa
    @ilovecats
    @twonker
    @poppy123456
    i do not trust any of them either. I only contacted them for help as I was severely depressed at the time.  I did not understand the questions and was unable to complete the form.  I panicked and phoned when I was at my lowest. I did not know at that time what else to do or that there were other agencies who could help. I am wiser now and my mental health is a little better than it was but I still have a long way to go. I would never ask for help from a DWP representative again. My doing so has caused me more stress at an already stressful time. I’m just hoping I haven’t been stitched up. 
  • twonker
    DWP do home visits for form filling and always have but it’s another part of their provision which has been decimated. A team which once covered one area may now cover four. The service is aimed at vulnerable claimants and that’s fairer rigidly defined. It’s also predominantly focused at assisting with claims for means-tested benefits such as Pension Credit. They will also fill in claims for disability benefits but only usually if they’ve been called out to address a means-tested benefit claim initially.

In theory not much can go wrong with a means-tested claim. Inevitably they do. Over the years I’ve seen cases where DWP have failed to note down a source of capital or income on the form despite being given full information by the claimant. They also adhere to the very bad practice they abhor in others I.e. they fail to record on the claim pack that it was they who complete the claim pack not the claimant. For the most part though the advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages when using their service for means-tested stuff and it has the very big advantage that some evidence can be verified on the spot rather than originals having to be posted in. 

Using them for disability benefit claim forms is not recommended. They are simply not trained to do this and the standard is often appalling.

Tell me about it!
  • sheZZa
    Hmmm! I know what you mean. She never changed anything different to what is written myself, she just omitted a few things that I’d put ie an adapted kitchen to make it more accessible for me. I do have a copy of the form which is signed and dated by her not that is worth anything. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.