UC Commitment acceptance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Commitment acceptance

Nader
Nader Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
edited May 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi 
I had my commitments meeting with my work coach two days ago (who seems like a very nice chap) and while I was there he switched off the work search requirement and said just to wait for the UC50 form etc. On my UC Journal it clearly states that commitments acceptance is completed. 
Yet the next day my To-do list has a requirement for me to accept commitments with the heading "I will do everything I can to find work or earn more". (I have a 3 month not-fit-for-work note) An email form UC says that I need to this by the 7th May before I can receive my payment. I sent a message on my UC account to my work coach asking him about it and am waiting to hear back.

Could someone shed some light on this for me? My journal says the acceptance is complete! I really don't understand what's going on.

Thank you.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Nader welcome to the community. Have you tried calling them to confirm that the commitment acceptance has already been completed?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,934 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you 100% sure your work coach switched off your work requirements? Seems like they may not have done what you think.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nader
    Thank you Antonia. I may do that tomorrow if I’ve still not heard anything. 

Thank you Poppy. I was there looking at the screen and he showed me when he clicked the section to switch it off. And then when I asked plainly he confirmed again that there definitely is no work search requirements and he made a telephone appointment with me for six weeks time. Plus, my journal entry plainly says that the commitment acceptance is completed. 
    Is this odd?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @Nader, have you heard anything further? 
    It does sound like your work search commitments may have been reactivated. I would strongly advise getting in touch with your work coach and discussing this with them in case it was an accident. If commitments are sat there pending to be accepted, it will effect your claim. Having a fit note from your doctor does not exempt you from work search requirements on its own. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Nader
    Hi Adrian
    I phoned UC and they also thought it was bizarre. I saw a different work coach this morning (I popped in at 9am) who assured me that everything is fine, and that it's simply the heading of the grouping that I am in, but that the actual requirements do not ask for any work search. (Please see below) 
    UC confirmed that they can see in the account that the work coach has switched off the work search requirements. He advised that I make journal entries about everything that has happened, such as, 'I saw the work coach and he said …. etc', just to cover myself. Not very confidence inspiring!!

I've pasted below what the requirement specifies under the heading that I've mentioned:

Meetings with my work coach

I'll attend and take part fully in all meetings with my work coach. I'll tell my work coach immediately if I can't do this.

Using my online account

I'll sign in to my online account often to:

• complete all activities in my to-do list
    • report changes to my circumstances promptly, including changes to work

The work coach told me not to worry about it and that it's just how that system is right now. They both certainly seemed very helpful and sincere. 

What do you think?

• Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Nader.

Just to clarify, it has this heading “I will do everything I can to find work or earn more” and then the specific requirements you’ve copied above? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi again @Nader

The title is because you’re still in the work group (you can’t be moved out of it until awarded LCWRA etc). However, as long as there is no mention of the hours you should be searching for work or any work search mentioned in the commitments below it, then it’s fine and they have made ‘reasonable adjustments’ and turned these off for you. 

You will need to accept these new commitments, but as long as they only say what you’ve copied here you won’t have any work search requirements.

I do agree with making a note in the journal about it all, but that’s mainly because I like to document everything! 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Nader
    Hi Adrian

Yes to your first question. 

And I also just now had a phone call from my work coach explaining everything and putting my mind at ease. He has made an entry in my journal saying that it's just the heading and his not sure why I'm being asked to accept again because it was done in the office. He thinks it may be a computer glitch, not to worry and just accept. He has made it clear in the journal entry that 'there are no work search activities in the specifics, as we agreed in the office'. 

That's clear enough isn't it? What do you think?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Nader, that's great of your work coach. And yes, it all sounds fine and you can accept the commitments without worry.
    From the text you've copied here, there are no work commitments in that, it's just the title of the group you're currently in. Be sure to accept so you're not sanctioned for not agreeing commitments. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Nader
    Sure will. And thank you for your awesome advice Adrian! 

Have a great evening!
  • Adrian_Scope
    And you @Nader!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.