Has anyone heard about this? Is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone heard about this? Is this normal?

Options
bwelsh
bwelsh Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My PIP award is due to expire in April 2020 I haven’t heard anything about my reassessment or received my questionnaire. I called the helpline and I was advised that the review period has changed from a year before to 6 months. I will be sent out my questionnaire in October. 
Has anyone heard about this? Is this normal? 

Thanks in advance, the whole process just stresses me out. 

Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I've heard of one other person say the same thing. Although that wasn't the case for my daughters recent review and on her award letter for the new award is say review forms sent 1 year before.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @bwelsh I am sorry to hear the process has been stressful for you. How are you doing today? 
    I found some information from the Turn 2 Us website, which says:

Your award of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may be reviewed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) at any time, even if you have an award for a fixed amount of time. The DWP will usually start to review your claim one year before your award ends.

When the DWP reviews your claim, they send you a letter with a PIP review form. The DWP gives you 4 weeks to fill in the form and send it back. You can read more about this on the Turn 2 Us website.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any questions.

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm with @poppy123456 I have also read on, and seen on other welfare help sites that a good few claimants are getting reassessed at 6 months instead of the normal 12 months ie a year before.

Perhaps the DWP are changing the process for some? I would advise anyone if they are worried that they have not received their new form when you think it's due, a year before. 

Checking if a form has been or not sent at the yearly point is the best policy and if the DWP say it's not til the 6 month period, at least it should put one's mind at rest.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Checking if the form is sent or not is the best way forward. So it gave me peace of mind knowing that they were on top of things. Even though I emailed them several times. It’s a bit like the interview process you need to be persistent and chase them up. Remember that they are not your friends or family members this helped me. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Options
    Mine were 12 months before but that was in December 2018.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I disagree that it's normal because most people receive them 12 months before the award is due to end. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I also know and still think most will still get their form yearly. But? as I've stated above this 6 month process is not the normal process the DWP use, as me and @poppy123456 states many have been receiving their form at the 1 year point, also I've heard and seen many lately stating after phoning the DWP for confirmation that they will be reviewed 6 months before their award runs out.

Also stated above always make sure to check your award letter date, and go with this dates until told otherwise.

Most award letters will state a review date, apart from ongoing awards which will be stated as (after) xyz date, which is after the 10 year point.

I advise anyone that has any concerns regarding when a review will be is, it's always best to check with the DWP unlike some mention don't on this thread? Remember it's your claim after all.

For anyone to be told by other charities it's 6 months I wouldn't just trust that approach? Always call the DWP, even though they always don't get it right. 

Good luck everyone going going through this.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.