son going to college can he do part time work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

son going to college can he do part time work

jjdd70
jjdd70 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
edited May 2019 in Education
sorry don't know if its in right section?
my son will be starting college in september I've informed child tax credits and child benefit.
but my son wonts to know because i get these benefits and a bursary fund is only a bus pass for him to get to college,
he wonted me to ask if he got a part time job lets say at mc donaldss or kfc etc usually places where students can work,Will this little job effect the benefits my mum gets?bless him 

Comments

• Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
    Hi @jjdd70
    Thank you for your question about your son's benefits when he starts college in September.  I have moved you to the education board as other people may have asked this question about a change of location, work and education.  Best wishes Debbie
    Debbie
    Online Community Manager
  • jjdd70
    thank you debbie

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @jjdd70, what a lovely and conscientious son you have!
    As long as he’s in full-time (not university) education he can work up to a maximum of 24 hours before it affects your tax credits or child benefit. 
    Hope that helps.
    Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jjdd70
    oh thank you adrian that's great he is doing health and social care at college for 2 years before he can enrol in the police and he has been asked by his school he's just leaving to work in the partnership section where children with disability have a separate classroom,my son gave up the PE and dinner time breaks to go help in the partnership side everyday.And today he had his leaving assembly at school and was asked,So he came home asking this question because he wonts to save for driving lessons whilst at college
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Many college students have part time jobs. I would look into it for him. What are his strengths and abilities? Does he have a resume or not? It might also be a good idea to see if the career advisor will be able to help him or not. Most colleges have a career advisor service on campus. I would start with them and go from there. 
  • jjdd70
    that you for the kind reply everyone 
  • jjdd70
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    jjdd70 said:
    oh thank you adrian that's great he is doing health and social care at college for 2 years before he can enrol in the police and he has been asked by his school he's just leaving to work in the partnership section where children with disability have a separate classroom,my son gave up the PE and dinner time breaks to go help in the partnership side everyday.And today he had his leaving assembly at school and was asked,So he came home asking this question because he wonts to save for driving lessons whilst at college
    It sounds like a great thing for him to be doing, I hope he gets on well. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ScoliFibroGirl
    ScoliFibroGirl Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Would he be best considering public services course ? That way he learns a lot of physical discipline, marching and law knowledge 

Brightness