Awarded PIP - when can I expect my money? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded PIP - when can I expect my money?

Antelope
Antelope Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all - I know this has probably been debated on a few threads already now... so apologies if I am duplicating posts.

I have been refused PIP twice (once after the initial face-to-face assessment and then again after the mandatory reconsideration). I appealed and have had a call from the PIP appeal people last week  (Newport as I live in Wales), that they are happy to award me my claim as I have provided them with the relevant information.

The lady I spoke to said that she was going to set things into motion and that I would be sent a letter confirming my award, but that the money would probably reach my account before I received the letter. Has anybody had the same situation - and how long did it take for the money to come through? I'd be really glad to hear from you!!

Reading through some of the posts I realise that my PIP interview was just as daunting as everybody else's!! When I had my first report through I thought that I had not been in the same meeting! So, it stated stuff like 'was able to produce her driving licence from her purse as form of identification' to go against me. 'Was able to maintain good eye contact' was another together with 'no obvious signs of self-neglect'... I was appalled!!

Then some of the stuff that I did tell them was not even included in their report, i.e. anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, bulimia, self-medicating with alcohol, I felt I was made out to be a liar (and that it was all in my head... which is correct as I suffer from mental illness and nothing physical). For me that first refusal was so devastating (and it arrived on 24th December - Merry Christmas!) that I took an overdose :(

The mandatory reconsideration I submitted after coming out of hospital awarded me 1 point for needing help with my medication....

Anyway, anybody who has been refused... please stick with your appeal no matter how stressful it may seem and see it through!! I looked at some statistics and you have a 75% chance on average (don't quote me) for your appeal to be accepted. I have been in turmoil for over 12 months, got myself into massive debt with my energy and water suppliers, Thinking what I can sell to keep up with bills etc.

As much as I look forward to a reply when my payment could / would come through - I want to tell people to hang on in there and persevere!! A 75% chance of ATOSS(ers) ruling to be overturned means that 3 in 4 people who have been declined PIP are actually entitled.

Best wishes to all!!
Antelope xx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Great news. Once the money is sent from DWP it takes 3-4 working days to go into your bank. To know for sure when you'll receive it then DWP will be able to tell you the answer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Antelope
    Thank you, poppy123456 :) I shall phone DWP on Tuesday to see whether they have had notification - I just hope that DWP are not going to challenge the award as I have learned on this forum that they may do.
  • poppy123456
    I read the above that you were awarded by DWP before attending the Tribunal. If this isn't correct and you were awarded by the Tribunal then backdated money can take 8 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Antelope
    Yes, I appealed and then I had a phone call telling me that I did not need to go to a tribunal hearing and that I had been awarded PIP as I had supplied enough relevant information. I was told that I would receive a letter confirming this, but that I would probably receive the money before the letter arrived. So under these circumstances how long would it take for the money to come through / payments to commence?

• poppy123456
    That question is impossible to answer, i'm afraid. Who was the phone call from?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.