Carers allowance while on universal credit?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance while on universal credit?!

heathermcew
heathermcew Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
i am on universal credit, i have recently applied for carers allowance as my daughter has been awarded middle rate care DLA.

i was wondering how carers allowance will affect my universal credit and if it will still be backdated although i am on universal credit? Also how long did it take people to hear off them about their claim?

thanks in advance:)

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    It takes about 8 weeks to hear back about carers allowance as for the effects on your other benefits I am un sure maybe taken in to account and could be deductions. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I answered your other question with this reply.

Carers Allowance is classed as income when calculating UC payments and will be deducted £1 for £1 (approximately £280 per month) Carers allowance then pay you each week. This is because you can't receive carers allowance twice. If you've been claiming UC for the whole time then you won't receive any backdated money.

When claiming UC there's no need to claim carers allowance because you can claim the carers element without claiming carers allowance. The only advantage to claiming carers allowance at the same time is the class 1 NI credits towards your state pension.

It's possible that you can receive the carers element of UC added to your claim but this will depend on your circumstances. If you're receiving the LCWRA element in with your UC then you won't be able to claim the Carers element on top. If you don't receive the LCWRA then you'll need to ask UC to add the Carers element, which is £160 per month. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019

Hello @heathermcew   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. Who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to your question on carers allowance.  Sorry do not know the answer. Benefits are complex and confusing.

We have members of our team or a member of our community be able to advise and give you an reply.

Please have a look on our website.  For further information.

Please can I ask have you spoken to CAB?. Please you could contact them they have knowledge expertise on benefits.

Would be another suggestion.

Hope that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Good morning @heathermcew
    @poppy123456 has given a really detailed explanation of how Carers Allowance interacts with Universal Credit so I won't cover that again but I just wanted to add, if you haven't already, be sure to update your Universal Credit with the information that your daughter is now in receipt of DLA (and that you are a carer) as there is a disabled child element you may be missing out on otherwise. 

Please let us know if you have any questions. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.