I have just recently had a letter to claim PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have just recently had a letter to claim PIP

jo12
jo12 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just recently had a letter to claim PIP as my DLA is ending. I am sick with worry about this as I hear of so many people being denied their claims. I am 69yrs old in August and suffer with RA and COPD, and yes I can touch my nose, just, can't walk very far or lift hot pans etc, and now have to live with my daughter. How do you all cope with the stress 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @jo12 welcome to the community :) How are you doing today? A lot of our members will be able to relate to you, when it comes to the claiming process. But we are here to support you, we have some information here on completing your PIP form.

You can also contact your local CAB, if you need further support. If you have any questions, please let us know. :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When you ring DWP to start your claim you can request that your DLA file is used as evidence for the PIP claim. If the evidence that's with DWP for your DLA claim is several years old then i'd recommend sending more recent evidence that's relevant to how your conditions affect you. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

When filling out the forms you should put as much information about your conditions as possible, adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

If you don't have enough of time to return the form then you can ring DWP to request an extra 14 days.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. It's rare to have a paper based assessment. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AlisonNetty
    AlisonNetty Community member Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Hello @jo12
    Have you told the DLA that you disagree with there decison? You can write and ask them to look again at you claim... if they come back with the same decision you can ask for an appeal. I went all the way to a tribunal and thankfully won my claim and got my PIP back until 2023. Hope this helps. Hugs Netty xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jo12
    Have you told the DLA that you disagree with there decison? You can write and ask them to look again at you claim... if they come back with the same decision you can ask for an appeal. I went all the way to a tribunal and thankfully won my claim and got my PIP back until 2023. Hope this helps. Hugs Netty xx
    No decision's been made on the PIP claim yet. Jo12 has been invited to apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Elizabeth1
    Elizabeth1 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
    @jo12 please try not to worry. I was really worried this was my first time applying for pip and all the things I was reading didn’t help . I was even convinced as my daughter has two dogs that would go against me . Don’t worry about the f2f just tell them what you can and can’t do anything you use to help you in day to day living etc. After all my stress I got an award so it does work out for people stay positive 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jo12 and welcome

AS you are changing from DLA to PIP after retirement age please be aware that any mobility award you accept now cannot be increased in the future, even if your needs change
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • jo12
    Hi,

When you ring DWP to start your claim you can request that your DLA file is used as evidence for the PIP claim. If the evidence that's with DWP for your DLA claim is several years old then i'd recommend sending more recent evidence that's relevant to how your conditions affect you. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

When filling out the forms you should put as much information about your conditions as possible, adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

If you don't have enough of time to return the form then you can ring DWP to request an extra 14 days.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. It's rare to have a paper based assessment. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. Good luck.

• jo12
    Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated
  • jo12
    @jo12 please try not to worry. I was really worried this was my first time applying for pip and all the things I was reading didn’t help . I was even convinced as my daughter has two dogs that would go against me . Don’t worry about the f2f just tell them what you can and can’t do anything you use to help you in day to day living etc. After all my stress I got an award so it does work out for people stay positive 

• jo12
    Thank you Elizabeth, the f2f was worrying me

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.