nervous to ask for reassessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

nervous to ask for reassessment

Hannahcat
Hannahcat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone,

I'm not really too sure where to start... I am feeling a little overwhelmed just now, I have multiple disabilities affecting both my physical and mental health. A lot of the conditions are fairly rare which makes it difficult to get support.
I used to get DLA and then when it changed to PIP, they cut my allowance hugely which has really affected my health. At the time, I was too scared to challenge this because it was widely known that most people were losing their benefits altogether and that really scared me. Since going from DLA to PIP, I have become a lot worse and I am about to ask them to reassess me but I feel really nervous.

I work part time and I am desperate to continue doing this. I have four cats who help keep me calm. I don't really have friends, partly due to my health conditions.

It's nice to come here and hopefully make some connections.
:smile:

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Hannahcat  Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Sorry to hear this.  I do understand what you are going through. Many of our members have similar experiences.

Please can I suggest you should always appeal any decision. To give you reassurance there are negative stories around the benefit system. Yet this is important you need to appeal despite what you hear. From any decision. Get the help and support to guide you through this.

Please can I also say there are plenty of positive stories. Many are on here.

Have you spoken to any one getting any help, support guidance with your health conditions.?

There are always organisations, associations related to many conditions. Have a look on line. Please ask me if I can help. Only too glad to.

You could contact your Doctor to give you some support and guidance some signposting.

If having problems use an advocate consider RETHINK. Appoint an advocate to speak on your behalf any medical appointments and decisions.

Your entitled to good health care .  Have a look on line their website.

You mentioned mental health issues. I know sometimes that is difficult to deal with and it is finding the right support to maintain your conditions, illness.

I use mental health charities . They often can be useful to look at everything mental health. Wellbeing as well anything additional. Such as disabilities or other conditions.

Can help with benefits and other welfare.

Used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Looking at your benefit situation another suggestion would be to speak to CAB. For further guidance.

Please if I can be supportive. Please contact me. Happy to listen and help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hannahcat and welcome

How long is your current award ?
    You are requiered to inform the DWP of any change in circumstance, which includes your condition getting worse. However any request for a change in circumstance carries the risk of a full reassessment and f2f where you could lose your existing award.
    You should get trained advice from an agency near you before doing anything
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Have you looked at the PIP descriptors to see where you can those extra points for a higher award? A worsening condition doesn't mean you'll score more points for a higher award.

People do work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then this can go against you.

Before reporting those changes i'd agree with CR, you need to get some face to face advice because you could lose what you already have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hannahcat and welcome to the community! How are you doing today? 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.