I am hoping for advice on claiming benefits today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am hoping for advice on claiming benefits today

Meatloaf123
Meatloaf123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone, I am hoping for advice on claiming benefits today. I have crohn's disease and have always worked full-time. 3 weeks ago I had a heart attack and I'm waiting for the results of a tongue biopsy. I am terrified of the day when I have to return to my stressful job with my less than sympathetic manager. I am looking into retiring due to ill health and was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice. I'm 53 years old. Many thanks in advance 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019

Hello @Meatloaf123 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Sorry to hear that your not well. Hope and wishing for a speedy recovery.

I would have a look at the following information. May be of interest to you.

https://www.gov.uk./browse/benefits.

Please also have a look at our website for further information and advice.  On benefits.

Also may I add you could speak to CAB or look at their website . Good with form filing in if you need to apply.

Please ask if we can help further with anything else. A member of our team or a member of our community will know.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Meatloaf123 and welcome

Have you talked about this with your GP ?
    If you can, get trained advice from an agency near you. They will be able to discuss benefit options with you
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
     Hi @Meatloaf123

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We are all here to help/advice any new members.

Yes I was in the same boat ?‍♀️ ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️ “Ship” a few years ago now.

I had to take early retirement at the age of 52yrs old.

I ended up controlling every stage of the process to make sure everything went to plan.

@steve51
  • Meatloaf123
    Thank you folks, it's a really good feeling knowing you're not alone. Thank you again x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Meatloaf123 and a very warm welcome to the community! You might the benefit calculator a useful tool to see what you can claim. We also have boards on benefits that can be found here. Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• Meatloaf123
    Thank you so much x
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Meatloaf123 how are you doing today? I am sorry to hear this, as the other members have suggested, please use the benefits calculator. You may also want to get in touch with ACAS for advice; Acas provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law.
  • Meatloaf123
    I will do thank you x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Meatloaf123 , there's lots of good advice and links above so just a quick message to welcome you to the community! Please don't hesitate to ask if you've any other questions etc or want any more advice regarding benefits. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.