Money in savings till house sale - will benefits get stopped? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Money in savings till house sale - will benefits get stopped?

Options
2»

Comments

• Brunettebird1
    Brunettebird1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    So essentially it will be the council tax and pension credit that would be effected? X
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's correct. For savings over £10,000 the pension credit will be affect £1 for every £500 over that amount. If the pension credit has an assessed income period then savings will be ignored. For this she will need to check her pension credit award. Details in link provided. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/assessed-income-period

Change in circumstances will still need to be reported. For council tax reduction then savings of over £16,000 and she won't be entitled to any reduction.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Brunettebird1
    Brunettebird1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Poppy123456, you have been fantastic! Such a weight off my mind. If I think of anything else, I’ll be sure to come back. Thanks again X
  • mayfair1
    mayfair1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi My son is in receipt of ESA and I have receive Income Support. I am planning to sell my house I live in and my second home to buy a bigger home for my family. Both my properties have equity in them which I will use as a large deposit to buy the new home. Will I no longer eligible for my benefits even though any equity will only go towards a deposit. ......
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hello @mayfair1. The money from sale of a house you live in is usually disregarded for 6 months while you're looking to purchase another property. However this is complicated by your second home for which the capital is counted. 
    You can usually use the proceeds of a sale to put on a deposit of a new house you intend to live in but I would strongly suggest getting some face-to-face or telephone advice from a welfare agency such as CAB or Welfare Rights. You can find what's available in your area here at Advicelocal.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.