Advice on arrears — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on arrears

Micky_1966
Micky_1966 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. .hopefully someone can put my mind at rest. I receive ESA support group and I moved house on 1st March due to mental health issues and Esa were informed on May 1st by a friend who deals with most of my affairs. I received a letter this morning dated 2nd May saying that a payment of arrears amounting to  £1.30 from 25th April -1st May 2019 has been calculated. This arrears payment has not been sent or credited to you as we are holding details of a possible overpayment. We are checking whether any recovery must be made. Can anyone give me any welcome advice please. .thanks. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's impossible to answer your question i'm afraid and you'll need to ring ESA to ask them what's going on and they'll be able to give you further details.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Micky_1966
    Thanks. .I called them and they just said that it's a standard letter. .I read the letter back to her word for word and she still answered with its a standard letter sent out to everyone. .very strange and definitely makes you worry. Cheers 
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure what they mean by it's a standard letter sent out to everyone. Not everyone has an overpayment, so how can it be a standard letter? Was there any reason why you waited 2 months before you reported the change of circumstances when you changed address? The overpayment could be caused through that but it will depend on your circumstances once you moved.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Your best bet is to call them tomorrow morning to see if they can answer your question. But I’m not sure why you waited so long before following up on things. I tend to treat this like a much wanted job opportunity. I instantly follow up with a email sent the next day asking if they have read our application form yet. They are not your family or close friend either. That helps me keep on track of affairs. 
  • Micky_1966
    As I said in my original question. .my affairs were being taken care of by two others due to ill health and it was a misunderstanding between them on updating my address. Apart from my change of address my circumstances remain the same. I asked for advice not criticism   
  • poppy123456
    I wasn't criticising i was asking a question because i was trying to help you and think of a reason why you may have an overpayment.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Micky_1966 and a warm welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry you felt criticised by previous posters, but believe they were just trying to help you figure out any reason there might have been an over-payment.
    If I were you, I'd give them a call again today. You'll hopefully get through to a different person, who'll hopefully be more helpful. There's nothing 'standard' about potential over/under-payments but only they will be able to advise with what's happening. Keep us updated as I'd be interested to find out what happens. :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.