Confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused

Options
benlis10
benlis10 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
hi everyone, my GP was the one who recommend adult social services/OT to me who in turn recommended several aids that would benefit me 
shower stool , bed frame ,commode etc
iam quite worried the amount of people on here denied points as the aids are a “ choice “
whats all that about ? 
Without my aids I would not be functioning at all 
I would literally have to be in bed all day 
how do you get the assessor to understand this is not a choice but a necessity?
Thanks   

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi benlis10
    I think that where aids are declared as a choice rather than a necessity it is because in some cases the user has purchased these to help them as their own decision.
    i have certain aids to help which were recommended by Social Services.In fact some were actually provided by them.These weren’t in my case declared a choice as they had been suggested by a qualified person.
    I’m sure Poppy will have more knowledge about this but if these have been professionally recommended then they should be classed as a necessity.
        Debsidoo.x
  • benlis10
    benlis10 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Thanks debsidoo 
    that makes a bit more sense 
    all my aids were loaned to me by the OT through social services as too were my mobility walker 
    as evidence regarding this I will send in copies of the aids delivery sheet from Leeds city council xxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,047 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Did your OT write an assessment report, with details of why you need the aids? If so then this will be very useful to send as evidence. The delivery notice alone isn't the greatest evidence because it doesn't say why you need those aids.

What stage of the PIP application are you at please? Filling out the form? waiting for a face to face assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    As Poppy says the assessment report is vital. However I do know that it isn't the norm for SS to produce such a report. I've never seen one despite them recommending and supplying various bits of equipment.
    In my case it was recognised at the face to face assessment that I appeared to be able to do more than I claimed. Consequently most of the aids supplied by SS were deemed to be a choice and not a need.

It really doesn't matter who supplies the equipment and why if the assessor believes that they are not entirely needed if you are able to carry out the exercises at the assessment. The SS report would then be used as evidence to help convince the DWP and a Tribunal that on the balance of probabilities that what you say is more believable than what the assessor believes. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.