What is PIP supposed to for?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is PIP supposed to for??

Jaffacat
Jaffacat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hey all, If you get Carer's allowance you can use that to pay for someone to help you with your daily needs. It may be doing your shopping, cleaning or doing your laundry. PIP?? What do 'they' give us the money for? I'm not complaining, I just want to know what 'they' think we use it for? I was awarded (thanks) PIP in Nov 2016 until Nov 2019...lower living & lower mobility. Brilliant..Thanks again...a year before itsi due to run out they send me a 'review'..now let me get this right.."to see if you're getting the help you need" well actually "no not really" filled the form in including relevant info...I wait 4 months to find out I have to go to a face to face...So I go to that (not the best 1 I've had)...3 weeks later I get the letter I've been waiting by the letterbox for every day...What do I see....Im I sorry this isn't what you were expecting..WHAT?? they've taken PIP off me altogether!!!! Great day yippppppeeee!! So they ask me a whole 12 months before it's due to run out if I'm "getting what I need" instead save themselves 6 months of paying out by cancelling it anyway..Great way of tricking the disabled DWP...hope you're proud of yourselves.. I've asked for a mandatory reconsideration.... it's taking up to 10 weeks!! Bye bye private treatment that I used my PIP for...So I ask again "What do the DWP want us to use the money for? If not things to help us?" Thanks for listening xx

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jaffacat and welcome

Sorry this has happened to you, it is the normal practice to review a PIP award 12 months before the end date.

Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    The success rate at MR is around 18% so prepare yourself for an appeal to the tribunal

In answer to your question, the DWP don't want us to use the money for anything specific, they just don't want us to have it at all
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • te1
    te1 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    Hi on my assessment report it states the recommendation is a review in 18months time I've not yet received the decision from DWP for my claim but at assessment I scored 10 points for daily living, does that mean if I'm awarded it that they will send out another form in 6 months which will be 12 months b4 it's due to end 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    te1 said:
    Hi on my assessment report it states the recommendation is a review in 18months time I've not yet received the decision from DWP for my claim but at assessment I scored 10 points for daily living, does that mean if I'm awarded it that they will send out another form in 6 months which will be 12 months b4 it's due to end 
    The recomendation for review is not the end date of your award, tthis will normally be 12 months later. So review recomendation  november 2021 end date should be november 2022. This gives the DWP wiggle room to fit in assessment before your award ends
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • te1
    te1 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    Thank you that makes more sense now 
  • siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Buying and replacing disability aids.
    Incontinence products if your local NHS body doesnt provide them.
    Carer travel.
    Electric for archimedes lifts, powerchairs etc.
    Taxis.
    Contributions to direct payments.
    Postage costs or delivery fees for online shopping if otherwise unable to shop.
    Extra costs associated with special diets such as lactose free milk.
    Prescription costs if working.
    Laundry costs if you have incontinence.
    Extra bin collections for medical waste.
    Orthopedic insoles, splints.
    Cost of travel to/taking part in therapy such as pilates classes to manage joints.

^ some of the things "they" give me PIP for. Sorry to be blunt just been asked this so many times. I've left loads off this list. 

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    I know some that don't spend it on anything like that.
    One has bought a new Range Rover Evoque - nice motor but a bit pricey.
    And the other uses it to give them both a long haul holiday once a year - this year it's 4 weeks in Australia & New Zealand costing over £7500.. 
    I brought this subject up in another thread asking what the government expect people to use it for. The answer it seems is that everyone was happy to spend it on anything they fancied.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    They sound just the same, anyone would think it's the same person  ;)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.