Questions associated with moving while on ESA and PIP; costs of repairs etc on my new property — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Questions associated with moving while on ESA and PIP; costs of repairs etc on my new property

Lilegg
Lilegg Community member Posts: 60 Connected
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, If all goes well I will be moving in just over a fortnight. I need a good bed, replacement carpet, Blinds and/or curtains and new boiler as current one on my home-to-be is 25 years old. Oh and a repair to the conservatory roof and minor damp work in the loo. In fact my wiring is old though currently sound ( pardon currently pun) and should probably be renewed in a couple of years too, according to advice received.

How can I cover these expenses from the proceeds of my sale ( I will have a surplus above the 6k allowed) in a way which is acceptable to the DWP? I spoke to an advisor a while ago and she said, buy essentials and just keep receipts. That advice feels slightly unspecific and I want to know how and whether I can get that in writing from them and if so where to go, which department and number, for this. I can't be left with debts. The way one is treated by DWP doesn't encourage trust in general ( think PIP assessments). What standard of carpet am I allowed/ Is it up to me what I buy? Hardwearing stuff comes at a cost...I know my plumber would do a report for me on the boiler..

Perhaps there is something in DWP official rules to protect me which I can quote should they challenge me and try to take my money ( above the 6,000)? Thanks so much! I am extremely busy due to all the stuff which goes with moving. I am thinking to get more paid help to move to ease some of the stress but I need to see exchange of contracts before I spend out and will have a very small window in which to complete and move once this happens which I believe it will. I am on income based DWP and PIP.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Lilegg how are you doing today? I'm not sure about this, have you been in touch with your local CAB for advice?

Our members may be able to answer your questions on this soon. 
  • Lilegg
    I haven't and that could be a good idea. Time is short as we could exchange contracts tomorrow (if things go well) and then I'd have a fortnight to move in and begin to get work done. I am not sure how quickly the DWP need to be told I have moved and how soon they will need receipts. I would want to tell them after a day or two and only after I have booked and paid for at least carpet fitting and new boiler and got quotes for repairs to be done. Does this make sense to you Antonia. Nice to meet you!! I am stressed!
  • Lilegg
    Now I think of it I did ask CAB ages ago when I first knew i needed to move and was asking them about it along with how to get my PIP entitlement returned to me (which we did at MRN though not full amount). They had lots else to do for me at the time with this PIP as I say but said it was unclear what DWP would allow and was at DWP discretion. Therefore I could buy the boiler I need and if they don't agree on receiving my receipts find myself  losing out considerably. A tricky one... Rules are very vague about entitlement to travel cards too. When mine was withdrawn they said that theoretically I could drive myself to medical appointments and that not owning a car or having a driver's licence was not the criteria! I could pretend I couldn't drive they told me and anyone could, to defraud the govt. I got mine back eventually at third attempt and think taking a friend with me as witness helped me. I really want to s criteria and not to be forced to use my savings to pay if they don't stump up. posting now to avoid time out..
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you talked to CAB? I also recommend contacting the DWP in the morning to find out. Good luck with your move. 
  • Lilegg
    Thank you April! will try DWP yes and CAB I have contacted (left a message) but will back it up with an email.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As soon as the money goes into your bank you need to report those changes to DWP, if you claim Income Related ESA. Over £6,000 affects means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount.

If the money is £16,000 and over then all means tested benefits stop. Of course you are allowed to buy some things and it won’t be deprivation of capital but you do need to report the changes when the money goes into your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lilegg
    Thanks Poppy. I will do this and will even have my assistant remind me on completion day. So much will be happening then! Do I need to put it in writing recorded or registered delivery, as well as calling?Think I might. Very tired today... It will all be worth it when I move. 
  • Lilegg
    Thank you for this advice which has made things much clearer for me! I will do as you suggest. It all hits the mark for me and I hope may help others too.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.