Awarded standard rate mobility at a pip tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded standard rate mobility at a pip tribunal

Options
um44rr
um44rr Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hi, my wife is disabled,  she has had polio since she was a child and has always had to use 2 crutches  to move around, when we originally applied for pip she was awarded 4 points for moving around, we requested a mandatory reconsideration as my wife now uses a wheelchair, and was awarded 10 points stating she can walk aided from 20 to 50 meters,we have attended a tribunal who upheld the DWP decision and awarded 10 points for moving around,  however my wife struggles to walk between 10-15 meters when using crutches  in door and when going out she uses her wheelchair, I did not provide any medical evidence as my GP only provided a basic medical records showing the the dates of attending the gp and reason for visiting her gp,  would I be eligible to reapply for pip and have my wife reassessed with her  Current situation  or is it a losing battle?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

She can’t reapply because she already has an existing award. She can put in a change of circumstances for a worsening condition. If she does this they will send her more forms to fill in and a face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

She really should get some face to face expert advice from an advice centre near you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @um44rr and a very warm welcome to the community! I hope you get the advice you are looking for. It may also be working contacting Citizen's Advice. If you have any other questions then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
    Scope

• um44rr
    Options
    Thank you very much poppy123456 for clarifying my query,

And thank you Chloe_scope for advising on where to go

I have spoken to my local advice centre who are going to arrange a face to face consultation 

Originally I requested a letter from  our GP to give information  regarding my wifes medical background  but they only issued a summary of the time she has visited the gp and why

Is there a template that could help me with the wording to write another letter to my gp to request specific details of my wifes polio and the effects? I have tried searching online but to no avail

Thank you in advance for any advice it's much appreciated 

• poppy123456
    Options
    A GP isn’t the best person to ask for evidence because they won’t know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They will only give basic information. You can request digital copies of medical records free of charge but if you want paper copies you have to pay for them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • um44rr
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thank you poppy123456, I have been to my go and put this request in writing 

Who would be the best person to ask for the effects of poolio relating to my wife?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I really have no idea who you can for evidence from, i'm afraid. It really depends who if anyone she sees about her condition. Remember PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Face to face advice is needed from a agency near you and they will be able to give you the correct advice.
  • um44rr
    Options
    Thank you ever soo muchPoppy123456  for governing me your time and advice,  its much appreciated,  hopefully once I get some movements on this issue I will look to reply to help anyone else in a similar situation 

Thanks to the scope community , its help restore my faith in knowing  there are good hearted people out there that are willing to help with their advice
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    So glad we could help @um44rr :) Please feel free to look round the rest of the community and get involved!

Scope

• um44rr
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I am and will continue to look around and help where I can, my message to anyone that's alone, don't give up and seek help,  many thanks and much love to all the scope community
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    That's so lovely to hear @um44rr! Thank you for your support!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.