PIP And Mental Health Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP And Mental Health Assessment

Gerald
Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
HI all just asking if you think that after now going on for 18 months to get to my Tribunal on Friday  do you think it is ok for me to ask them about my mental health assessment as done by the ATOS pip assessor as fit for the job after this it at my assessment or do I see if the tribunal ask me about it as I do not wish to get on there bad side for asking about it as after 18 months of this as in the report it had i had know Mental Health Problems as i know how to read a  road signs as is assessment did not look at the info from my doctor that i was in counselling for my Severe Depression and Anxiety and that the Psychiatric medication i'm on is at the top dose that you can take so who is right the  Assessor at my assessment or my Doctor and the Mental Health councillor or do you go with the Assessors can read a road sign Assessment on Mental Health and then send in a letter for the pip mandatory reconsideration and point this out and then for the one doing the mandatory reconsideration and them still going with the assessor and is road signs test for mental health or are the gov going to go with a new way to do mental health problems and the next time you have to go to counselling for a mental health problem and get a Atos a assessor assessment test of can read a road sign test so know problems to save money. So do I ask them about it or see if they ask me about it thank you. ???????????? 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Gerald how are you doing today? Thank you for sharing this with us. I am not sure about this, but i'll tag in @poppy123456 who may offer you some advice.
  • Gerald
    Hi Antonia_Scope not in the best place with all the things playing on my mind with the Tribunal on Friday after a 18 months to get to this place and did not need to get to this point if Atos had done what i asked for in the first place to have my assessment recorded and them saying yes then on the assessment day that there recording thing was not working and that where i have to go to the tribunal which costs god knows how much to have this all for the cost of a recording and this is just one thing that was wrong with the assessment report then there is this on and how is this not picked out at the mandatory reconsideration and them still going with the assessor report in one part it has in the history of conditions Diabetic and uses medication for this condition and sees is GP and also has reviews with the diabetic nurse every 3 months and all so goes to have is the podiatrist to have is feet test and to have is diabetic retinopathy test and then at the end in the same box put this no symptoms of a diabetic condition so know not feeling to good as do i ask the tribunal about these things or do i see if the tribunal ask me about this and the rest of the things that are wrong with this report so its playing more on my mind this week thinking about the tribunal and which ever way it goes this week as i can not take much more of this with the dwp and atos and them having no comeback on them but pull my life apart and make it hell how is this right in this time just to save money but no problem paying atos to do there assessments and get no comeback about the amount that go to a tribunal to have there assessment overturned.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Gerald, you have to remember that the tribunal hearing is about how your illnesses, diagnosis or disability fits in with the PIP descriptors at the time of your initial assessment, asking questions or making comments about the assessment on how you where, or the  assessor comments will be of no or little interest to the panel, good luck and keep us updated.
  • Gerald
    wilko said:
    Hello Gerald, you have to remember that the tribunal hearing is about how your illnesses, diagnosis or disability fits in with the PIP descriptors at the time of your initial assessment, asking questions or making comments about the assessment on how you where, or the  assessor comments will be of no or little interest to the panel, good luck and keep us updated.
    Hi wilko then is there know point in asking  about this as this is from the initial assessment and know point sending in letters from your doctor or reports as they do not count its just down to how the assessor sees it and then puts it down in is report and is mental health test which he put in is report as know mental health problems as can read a road sign and the he knows better than a doctor and a councillor  about mental health that is good to know. so your damned if you do damned if you don't how can this be right in the first place this is doing my Depression and Anxiety  a lot of good this week with thinking about the tribunal.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The Tribunal won't be interested in anything that may have or didn't happen in the assessment and they won't appreciate you asking about that. All they will be interested in is the descriptors that apply to you and your reasons why.

You may not have a decision on the day, if this does happen it's nothing to worry about but they will send a letter to you with the decision within a couple of days.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Gerald thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear you're not in the best place. I can understand how you feel and a lot of our members can relate to how you're feeling. It can be a stressful process.

The Citizen Advice have some information on a tribunal hearing. If you have any questions, please let us know. Good luck and keep us updated. We are all here to support you @Gerald :)
  • Gerald
    Hi,

The Tribunal won't be interested in anything that may have or didn't happen in the assessment and they won't appreciate you asking about that. All they will be interested in is the descriptors that apply to you and your reasons why.

You may not have a decision on the day, if this does happen it's nothing to worry about but they will send a letter to you with the decision within a couple of days.

Good luck.
    Hi poppy123456 So The Tribunal won't be interested in anything that may have or didn't happen in the assessment and they won't appreciate you asking about that even with it in black and white in the report that as been done by the assessor and are looking at  like in the report in the same box on history of conditions Diabetic and uses medication for this condition and sees is GP and also has reviews with the diabetic nurse every 3 months and all so goes to have is the podiatrist to have is feet test and to have is diabetic retinopathy test and then at the end in the same box put this no symptoms of a diabetic condition  by the assessor in the same box puts no symptoms of a diabetic condition and the assessor mental health test that if i can read a road sign then you have no mental health problems as i do not see how knowing a road sign is a good way to do a mental health assessment then put it in is report in black and white so is there a point to the tribunal if its just going to look at the assessors report and not ask me about the points i have made about the report and how one one page one thing then on the next page to the same question give a diffrent answer to the first time and put it down in the report  
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Gerald said:
    Hi,

Good luck.
    Hi poppy123456 So The Tribunal won't be interested in anything that may have or didn't happen in the assessment and they won't appreciate you asking about that even with it in black and white in the report that as been done by the assessor and are looking at  like in the report in the same box on history of conditions Diabetic and uses medication for this condition and sees is GP and also has reviews with the diabetic nurse every 3 months and all so goes to have is the podiatrist to have is feet test and to have is diabetic retinopathy test and then at the end in the same box put this no symptoms of a diabetic condition  by the assessor in the same box puts no symptoms of a diabetic condition and the assessor mental health test that if i can read a road sign then you have no mental health problems as i do not see how knowing a road sign is a good way to do a mental health assessment then put it in is report in black and white so is there a point to the tribunal if its just going to look at the assessors report and not ask me about the points i have made about the report and how one one page one thing then on the next page to the same question give a diffrent answer to the first time and put it down in the report  
    Nope, the Tribunal don't care what has been written. Your job is to convince the Tribunal what descriptors should apply to you - that's it in a nutshell.
  • Gerald
    twonker said:
    Gerald said:
    Hi,

Good luck.
    Nope, the Tribunal don't care what has been written. Your job is to convince the Tribunal what descriptors should apply to you - that's it in a nutshell.
    Hi twonker well thats good like do you need to where you colostomy bag all the time well yes but this is the thing the assessor asked me and the after telling him about it and my 

Peritonitis is an infection of the inner lining of the tummy. Left untreated, it can become life threatening.

Causes of peritonitis

The lining of the tummy (peritoneum) covers internal organs like the kidneys, liver and bowel.

If the lining becomes infected, the internal organs it covers can also be damaged.

and with the rest of the problems with my disabiltys or mental health problems as a assessment report that is some good way for the assessor to work and put down in is report after seeing me for 20 to 30 mins and then asking me to go in the watting room to take my GTN Spray for my angina as he put it so he can see someone for is next assessment .so now i have to go to the tribunal and have like a new assessment from them.
  • poppy123456
    The Tribunal is not an assessment and nothing like it. Going to the Tribunal and talking about the lies that were told in your report is the worst thing you can do. They will only want to know how you're affected by your conditions and that's it. Have you sent evidence to support your claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Gerald
    Hi poppy123456 yes the tribunal and they have all the evidence sent to support your claim at the start for pip that the assessor had and more evidence that was sent to the mandatory reconsideration and more to the tribunal to support my claim so I do not know if they will need more evidence.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    prior to your hearing, the panel will have read all the evidence used by the DWP to decide your claim. This includes the assessment report and any evidence submitted by you.
    They will also have read your submission to the tribunal which should lay out your case for why you should receive an award. They will have noticed any inconsistancies in the HCP report and where this  differs to your account and evidence.
    They will then ask questions to determine the facts, which is why the majority of appeals are successful when the claimant attends to answer any queries
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Gerald
    prior to your hearing, the panel will have read all the evidence used by the DWP to decide your claim. This includes the assessment report and any evidence submitted by you.
    They will also have read your submission to the tribunal which should lay out your case for why you should receive an award. They will have noticed any inconsistancies in the HCP report and where this  differs to your account and evidence.
    They will then ask questions to determine the facts, which is why the majority of appeals are successful when the claimant attends to answer any queries
    Hi CockneyRebel thank you for that and the They will have noticed any inconsistancies in the HCP report and where this so thank you for that
  • poppy123456
    Have you written your submission and included the descriptors you think apply to you and your reasons why?
  • Gerald
    Have you written your submission and included the descriptors you think apply to you and your reasons why?
    Hi poppy123456 Yes i have as i had time to do this as my move from DLA to PIP Started back in 2017 and my part for the tribunal started in Feb 2018 so i have add the time to do all my paper work and with how long this as been going on is just mad all this is down to Atos after me asking to have my assessment record by them and them telling me yes even after  giving them a ring the day before and still yes from Atos no problem and then to turn up for the assessment and told  the recording thing is not working so cannot do the recording .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.