Mobility car and insurance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility car and insurance

meandmine30
meandmine30 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Spoke to the lady reviewing my pip 'worsening of conditions' she said I have been awarded the enhanced mobility for certain and will be recieving the confirmation letter soon. 

So I decided to phone the garage and get a jump on things and today the garage said the vehicle I need won't be available until late September.

Well here's the dilemma, our current insurance is due for renewal at the start of August, it's a difficult car to insure and expensive so how do I wrangle paying 2 months extra insurance?! Anyone else had the same problem? /Anyone have a solution for me pleeeeeease? Thanks in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Spoke to the lady reviewing my pip 'worsening of conditions' she said I have been awarded the enhanced mobility for certain and will be recieving the confirmation letter soon. 

So I decided to phone the garage and get a jump on things and today the garage said the vehicle I need won't be available until late September.

Well here's the dilemma, our current insurance is due for renewal at the start of August, it's a difficult car to insure and expensive so how do I wrangle paying 2 months extra insurance?! Anyone else had the same problem? /Anyone have a solution for me pleeeeeease? Thanks in advance
    Best thing to do is to ring your insurance company and ask because they will have their own policy.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @meandmine30 As Poppy states contact your current insurer after you have your award notification letter and explaining your situation. They may charge you a full 12 months insurance then a pro rata refund for the short term insurance when you cancel your present insurance to take on the mobility car
  • meandmine30
    Thanks guys! 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    wilko said:
    @meandmine30 As Poppy states contact your current insurer after you have your award notification letter and explaining your situation. They may charge you a full 12 months insurance then a pro rata refund for the short term insurance when you cancel your present insurance to take on the mobility car
    Be aware that the refund will not be pro rata. You could both write off your car and the car you hit the day after the policy starts or indeed on the last day of the policy.
    It's all about risk assessment. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Please excuse my curiosity, what car do you have that makes it difficult and expensive to insure ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • meandmine30
    Please excuse my curiosity, what car do you have that makes it difficult and expensive to insure ?
    Hi, it's a t4, they all came off the lot as commercial vans so we first had a fight on our hands to get the DVLA to acknowledge we weren't driving a minibus (that's what the old owners left the log book saying?!) Then we had to go to a broker to get it insured, it was very expensive and my husband has had a license for over 20 years and no claims etc. We have 5 children, 2 in pushchairs and a dog wheelchair and shopping and bags and just general rubbish so it was the only one we could afford that was big enough, it saved our life really, we love it and are going to struggle to part with it

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.