Gardening — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gardening

lhenderson73952
lhenderson73952 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have Phn after having shingles 4 times in a year left leg with nerve damage meaning I cannot bend extreme exhaustion under under pain management . I have tried too see if there are any gardening funds as my garden is large . I need raised beds shed gravel etc to make my garden disabled friendly  only on benefits . Has anyone had any luck in securing a grant x

Comments

• bendy_bonnie
    bendy_bonnie Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    I am in the same position and unfortunately not. I also need raised beds. I have horrible gravel at the moment. The only thing I have found useful is if you are on income based ESA maybe a budgeting loan (or advance if on UC) to spread the cost of the work (I've just been accepted for a BL for home improvement which I'm using for a joiner to make the raised beds and paying back £15pw interest free). Or if you have a disability/are elderly, some housing associations/councils have a discounted handyman service. I haven't used mine as they have a 6 month waiting list for odd jobs.
  • lhenderson73952
    Thankyou x I shall enquire the housing x
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Definitely look at the housing. Is it possible to talk to the social services department for advice and support? Also enquire about a handyman service too. Some of my son’s DLA money is used to fund a public wheelchair friendly garden in town so he can safely help us. Look up gardening advice for disabilities and see what you find. I’m sorry I cannot be of more help. 
  • lhenderson73952
    Thankyou I will xx
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Here's a  link to a site that might be of use, you could check to see if there is  one of thier volunteer groups local to you that could help.
    It's  called "Men in Sheds ". 

http://www.geh.nhs.uk/community-involvement/geh-arts-programme/men-in-sheds/
  • lhenderson73952
    Thankyou I will x
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Here's another site that might help you. 

There's always someone looking for somewhere to grow vegetables,as in many Cities and Town's, there's a shortage of allotments. There are people who are willing to help out,and do the graft and hard work, and share whatever produce is grown. It's a case of if someone has a large garden,and wants to grow vegetables,but lack the physical side of things,the other person/s,provide the muscle,and share the produce.

A symbiotic relationship! 

Able bodied and less able! 

But with the same goal in common! 

And makes for good relationships,friendship and community spirit. 

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk

• leti
    leti Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    This last comment seems a great idea. I have 2 rotating raised beds and do the foot gardening method which is great this year.

Brightness