ESA UNDERPAYENTS RECIEVED BUT STILL WRONG ! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA UNDERPAYENTS RECIEVED BUT STILL WRONG !

Options
jog
jog Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello all,

Whilst being grateful to have received a payment for the underpaid ESA I was a bit miffed at the amount and the dates. I had been on ESA from 2011 until 2016 when I  moved to U.C but only received £900 after reading everyone was due at least £2000...
This was last year and I didn't pursue it as I was happy to have received anything!
It wasn't until a few months ago that a support worker going through my paperwork said I had been seriously underpaid and my payment should have been backdated to 2011 not 2014 that I asked her to look in to it for me..

Countless phone calls later over the last 3 months have resulted in being told "it is being  looked into"...I feel I am being fobbed off  and whilst I understand there are many people to deal with the fact mine has been addressed already but they have still messed up just beggars belief.,,And it's still money I am owed , there inability to give me any info is surely not right....has anyone else experienced similar with ESA underpayments...Also do we have any access to  how they calculate the payment so we know that it is right...they just can't be trusted to pay what's owed to us...Thank you Joanne

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi,

When the underpayments were announced they were only backdated to November 2014. Some months later they made another announcement that they were now backdating to November 2011. As you can imagine there are thousands more people that are affected by this underpayment. Backlogs are now huge.

Waiting times have been increased from 12 weeks to 20 weeks, sometimes longer. As you have been told it's being looked at i'm not sure what else you can do but wait for the letter. Hopefully it won't be much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.