Appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal

Options
linzidun
linzidun Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi
I have my appeal next month. My daughter is undergoing test for  high functioning autism she is 8 years old. Dla was refused on the grounds of the school she is settled in school but does not communicate well with above average grades. Dla have disregarded behaviours at home as school says all is well and say as there is no eveidence to no sleeping or behaviours they refuse. With no eveidence is there no point in attending appeal. I do not know how I am expected to prove behaviours and sleep patterns? Thankyou 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,240 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

For a child to qualify for DLA they must need more care, attention or supervision than a child of the same age who isn't disabled. Proving it, can be difficult especially when the school say they are well behaved.

It's not unusual for a girl to be perfectly normal at school or outside and it's well known for them to hide their conditions, which is why girls are often diagnosed with ASD much later than boys. My daughter was exactly the same at school and they always thought i was being "over protective" and they said they knew her as well as i did and refused to refer her for the ASD assessment. Fast forward several years and she was diagnosed with ASD, social anxiety disorder and a learning disability, she was 17.

You say she's undergoing tests, do you have any evidence from that? any written reports? Has she seen any Consultants in the past? When attending appointments they usually write a letter to the GP and they will CC a copy in for yourself, if you ask (i've got several reports for my daughter) Can you ask her GP if they have anything in her medical records that you can use? Maybe even write a diary?

It's certainly worth attending because you have nothing lose by doing so. I'm not sure what the outcome will be without evidence though. The Tribunal are much more understanding than DWP and will listen to what you have to say.

Are you getting help with the appeal process?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • linzidun
    Options
    @poppy123456 she is waiting for an assessment from cahms. She is yet to get her appoitment. In school she has a councillor once a week and attends afriendship group and had done the past few years. The g p will not do anything until she has a diagnosis and I have done a parenting course got a support worker ect. The school note "she does not communicate as well as others but in there words she
  • linzidun
    Options
    Chooses not to play with other children. She has one freind and as her attainment levels are excellent she is doing well at school. They dont think not communicating to a degree she went without dinner all day as she spilt juice on her packed lunch is a problem *she would not ask the teacher for fear of getting into trouble x

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @linzidun, I can see Poppy's already given you some great advice RE your appeal. Aside from that, are you getting much support for or with your daughter? We have an autism and aspergers discussion group here, as well as @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors who might be able to offer some support should you need it.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.