considering dropping the appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

considering dropping the appeal

chris12
chris12 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My husband is appealing his loss of higher mobility component he suffered from polio at age of one year he didn't claim anything until mid twenties he was awarded by a independent doctor DNA for life he has a paralysed ankle his leg muscle is wasted has a dropped foot leg shortening and dropped hip and now has diabetes type 2 he suffers from anxiety and stress for last 18 months and is receiving treatment he has chronic pain and has to wear a splint he also suffers from low esteem due to being abandoned at birth resulting in him contracting polio I am worried that the court experience will be too much for him and am considering dropping the appeal he on several different painkillers tablets for his anxiety blood pressure medication and diabetes tablets

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chris12

Good Evening & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I am very very sorry sorry to hear about your current  problems.

Yes many of our members are experiencing the same problems going from “DLA 2 PIP”

Have you got a local “CAB” as they would be a good starting point.

Please please let me know if there’s any problems with this option.

I will try to help you further if required??

@steve51
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @chris12  Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Sorry to hear what you husband is going through. Many members are experiencing the same.

Please can I advise has you husband ever asked for support with his mental health.?

Often accessing support for his mental health.   Can be beneficial to his wellbeing.

I have mental health issues myself.

I used this charity last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

By asking for support you could get floating support or an outreach worker. Help and guidance with your benefit situations and other related.

They do take clientele with additional problems, issues with disabilities or illness or conditions.

Something to consider.

Please ask if we can help with anything.

Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Wish you well .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Edster77
    Edster77 Community member Posts: 162 Courageous
    Hi  @chris12  Welcome to the scope community
  • chris12
    I forgot to say hes 64 years old

• chris12
    Thank you all for your help and advice it so much appreciated  my husband is so proud even at the age of 64 he works so hard has 9: - 5: job but travel's 3/4 of an hour each way to work and works extra two hours overtime each day hardly missed a day unless in hospital he feels humiliated that he's being put through this, but humbled at the kind comments he's received from you all thank you so much
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @chris12

An important factor for you both to consider, when your husband turns 65, he will not be able to claim PIP (therefore no mobility component).

You should continue with the appeal, as previously suggested, by others and seek welfare rights advice.

Keep us informed.
  • Milly123
    Milly123 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi. chris12.
    As atlas46 has just said, once your husband reaches 65, he will no longer be able to claim pip and therefore will loose the mobility payment for good. He would only be able to get attendance allowance which is less money and has no mobility part to it. I myself am waiting to go to appeal for pip. So far I've been waiting 11 months since applying to go to tribunal and I still haven't got a date yet. I have felt like dropping it several times, due to all the stress it's caused me, (which is exactly what dwp hope we will do),  but I've come this far with it now, so I've decided to carry on with it. I have already been awarded standard in both care and mobility pip after being on high rate dla indefinitely. I am pushing for enhanced pip which I believe I'm entitled to as my health has got worse since I started on dla and not better. I have just had my 65th Birthday so by going to tribunal now, this would be my last chance of trying to get enhanced mobility. Please carry on with your husband's appeal if you can, it might be his last chance to try for the enhanced part of pip. Once you are in the pip system, you can carry on getting pip although they could still assess you at any time and you could loose. I'm not too sure if you can still appeal, if at the next assessment they turn you down and you are over 65.  Maybe someone on here could please enlighten me about that. Also, I have gone to welfare rights and they are satisfied that I would be entitled to the enhanced mobility and have agreed to support me through my tribunal when the time comes. I understand that you stand more chance of winning your appeal if you are represented. Good luck to you whatever you decide chris12. 

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Milly123

Yes you can appeal a PIP claim over the age of 65.

The DWP is looking at PIP reviews for over 65, in particular those on enhanced for both components, with a light touch review at 10 years.

The current success rate for PIP appeals is 74%, which clearly shows how bad the assessment process is.

Hope this helps.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chris12 and a very warm welcome to the community! As you can see, many of our members have been through the PIP appeal process. I can fully empathise with the stress this must be causing yourself and your husband and can see why you would want to stop at this stage. This is your decision, but I hope the community can support you whatever you decide to do! :)
    Scope

• Milly123
    Thanks for clarifying that for me atlas46. So, will it only be a light touch review for over 65's if you get enhanced rate for both components?
    Yes, you are quite right about the success rates of appeals showing how bad this whole assessment process is. I don't know how these assessors can sleep at night with the blatant lies they tell about us. It's just disgusting and causes us endless stress, which in turn causes really bad flare ups in all our symptoms. I have been waiting 11 months so far to go to appeal and still haven't got a date yet. It's all had a terrible toll on my health, I feel so poorly with it all and have almost thrown in the towel a few times. But I've decided that I have waited this long so I might as well just see it through and fight on to the bitter end.
    So, I say "sod all you numbnuts at dwp. See you in court!!!"  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The new rules for those of pension age haven't yet been confirmed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    When you pass SRA the PIP mobility award that you have will remain as long as you meet the criteria But it cannot be increased even if your needs increase.

If you are still claiming DLA when passing SRA, when or if you are asked to change to PIP then the mobility award that you accept will be as above

Anyone approaching SRA should be aware of this if called for reveiw or they have a worstened condition requireing a change of circumstance and should seek trained advice from an agency

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Milly123
    Thanks poppy123456 and CockneyRebel for the information. 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Hi,

The new rules for those of pension age haven't yet been confirmed.
    As you say the rules have not been published yet.

However going by the statement made by Rudd, there is no indication that anybody over SRA will not get the 10 year award,
    It maybe everybody over SRA 
    And she never mentioned the 10 year award.
  • chris12
    He was awarded pip but not the mobility element considering he has paralysed ankle in addition to his other problems which are becoming worse each year and there is no cure for his problems his good leg has taken the strain and he's had several operations on his good  leg until a steroid injection in his knee joint gave him septicaemia an emergency surgery and masses of antibiotics they have not touched him since except to say they've done all they can pain killing injections close to his spine don't work any more so its opiates pregabalin and cocodamol 30/500 and antidepressants but because he trys to be normal and doesn't tell anyone that he is suffering he gets punished for it 
  • gruber
    gruber Posts: 29 Listener
    Unfortunately that is what makes us British different from the rest, stiff upper lip and all that. Other countries scream, shout, wail and moan if anything affects them. Proud to be British and who wants to put up with a moaner.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.