Landlords could finally be banned from rejecting benefit claimants — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Landlords could finally be banned from rejecting benefit claimants

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
Landlords could finally be banned from rejecting benefit claimants, the Government has announced.
In a statement today, the ministry for housing said it will investigate agents and homeowners that automatically block those who qualify for Universal Credit and Housing benefit.
On Friday, housing minister Heather Wheeler announced plans to look at "no DSS" or "no housing benefit" adverts as part of an effort to create a fairer housing market.
She warned that if the sector was unwilling to take action then the Government would "explore all options to remove this practice".

You can read the full story about the government looking to stop landlords discriminating against people who are in receipt of benefits here.

Has this ever happened to you? Let us know your experience.

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    What does it matter who pays the rent as long as the rent is regularly paid? Why has this discrimination ever been permitted?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    I'm trying to work out how the government will be able to ban these actions. Surely the agents and landlords will come up with say ' the computer model that we use to assess potential tenants states that you do not qualify.' They would argue that the tenant simply being on benefits does not automatically disentitle them. They could even argue that their insurance company would refuse cover if the tenant was on benefits or the mortgage provider had it in their terms and conditions.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    exdvr said:
    What does it matter who pays the rent as long as the rent is regularly paid? Why has this discrimination ever been permitted?
    It's not as simple as that. For a start there is a 5 week delay in getting UC - should the landlord accept that? Then they have to consider the risks of having a tenant in receipt of benefits - will the landlord be paid on time, in full, every month?
    I live in a row of 3 semis which until a few years ago were all owner occupied. Now of those 6 properties only two are owner accoupled, myself and my neighbour. They were bought by a rather dubious and well known landlord and since the date when the first welfare funded tenant moved in the whole area has gone downhill. Anti social behaviour,  lack of attention to the gardens front and back, broken fencing together with huge amounts of rubbish and discarded furniture dumped in the front gardens.

• MikeyB2102
    MikeyB2102 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I'm having the same issues at the moment. Landlord is selling the house that I've lived in for 11 years. I'm on ESA and PIP and I've had so many rejections. I have used Shelters complaint letter templates a few times to challenge it. They either say I need a guarantor who earns over 41k a year (I don't know many people and the ones I do know don't earn that much), the landlord's insurance won't let him rent to people on benefits, or the landlord won't let to people on benefits, or you won't pass the referencing.

As soon as I mention that I receive ESA, PIP, full housing benefit I can hear the contempt in their voice. All I want to do is move to a new place and set up a long term home that I can be proud of. The council have put me in touch with letting agents and they either offer me total slums (they say studio flat, I say double room with a kitchen in it) or they don't reply to my messages. I've got two months to find a place and after a month of trying I just don't have the energy or mental strength to do it anymore 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    The great shame is that it will be difficult to impose such a rule/law as all the landlords/agents have to say is that the property has already been let, that aside many rental properties rent wise are now beyond many peoples ability to rent cost wise
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MikeyB2102
    woodbine said:
    The great shame is that it will be difficult to impose such a rule/law as all the landlords/agents have to say is that the property has already been let, that aside many rental properties rent wise are now beyond many peoples ability to rent cost wise
    I know, its ridiculous. I've been quite lucky as my landlord has kept the rent price down for me. I'm moving out of a 3 bedroom house and I'm struggling to find a studio flat for my budget. Thing is, my 12 year old daughter stays with me at the weekends and some of the holidays so ideally I need a one bedroom
  • MikeyB2102
    woodbine said:
    The great shame is that it will be difficult to impose such a rule/law as all the landlords/agents have to say is that the property has already been let
    One way tp get around that though is to ring them and state you're on benefits, get told its already been let. Then email them and and say you work. If they say they can arrange a viewing then you send them a polite email of complaint and see if they change their stance
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    I know, its ridiculous. I've been quite lucky as my landlord has kept the rent price down for me. I'm moving out of a 3 bedroom house and I'm struggling to find a studio flat for my budget. Thing is, my 12 year old daughter stays with me at the weekends and some of the holidays so ideally I need a one bedroom
    Our daughter is looking to move from her rented 2 bed house which she pays £550 month for she ideally wants something with a garden the best she has seen was almost £1000, some were over £2000 for 3 beds.
    I think she will end up buying as prices are dropping and even though interest rate are rising it's still now cheaper to buy than rent.
    What we really need and need quickly is 500,000 new social housing homes.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.