Do any of "The Owl Centre" members have any understanding of Auditory Processing Disorders — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do any of "The Owl Centre" members have any understanding of Auditory Processing Disorders

dolfrog
dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
I have visited the "The Owl Centre" web site, and i failed to see any of the local members who had any understanding of Auditory Processing Disorders, which is what your profession may call specific language impairment in your terminology. Your profession is supposed to be part of a multi discipline support team (audiologisat , speech and language pathologists, and psychologists, but all is see is a complete lack of any understanding of these complex issues. Just the marketing of various therapies.

So when will your organisationget it members up to date, instead of being decades behing international research

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dolfrog, I'm sorry to hear you feel unsupported and the research is lacking. It must be hard when you feel misunderstood by health professionals. I know you have started a discussion on the community with other people who have auditory processing disorders, was this beneficial at all?
    Scope

• NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hi Again,  Thanks for flagging that up about our website.  We are in the middle of creating a new one so I shall ensure that APD is written in.  Best wishes,  Nicola The Owl Centre
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    I'll also reassure you that last year, all our therapists went on a 4 day training course all about APD so we must definitely are up to date!  Thanks Nicola
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • Chloe_Scope
    This is great to hear @NicolaLatheySLT! Thank you for clarifying and we look forward to seeing the new website. Your support on the community is a massive help :) 
    Scope

• dolfrog
    @NicholaLatheySLT you might like to have a look at my Zotero Groups  Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)  Library - Auditory Processing Disorders . And may be you might like to join, by invitation, my Mendeley "Invite-only Group "Audiology and Auditory Processing Disorder" group. 
    Currently German research is leading the way, UK research has been lagging behind for some years now. You could have a look at at a research paper compilation I use to help inform others in my Facebook group at Evernote "Some International Auditory Processing Disorder Research Papers" 
  • dolfrog
    @NicholaLatheySLT 
    I was wondering why you deleted your post which was a very good description of auditory processing disorder, but which you probably initially  intended to describe specific language impairment (SLI) same issue different terminology, which is now being marketed as developmental language disability (DLD) they are trying to avoid the international research describing APD and SLI as the same issue. 

• dolfrog
    Chloe_Scope 
    all of my family have a clinical diagnosis of Auditory Processing Disorders, 3 sons (now adults), my wife and I. I was the first adult in the UK to be diagnosed as having APD back in 200 so that I could set up a support organisation to support those who may have APD to help the Medical Research Council get government funding for a 5 year research program 2004 - 2009. 

The temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder is the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental  dyslexia, which the dyslexia industry call a phonological processing deficit. I wonder why so called educational psychologists try to diagnose dyslexia as they are  not adequately trained or qualified to diagnose any of the underlying cognitive causes of the dyslexic symptom. It is estimated that 60% of real dyslexics have APD as the underlying cognitive cause of their dyslexic symptom. 

International research of the last decade has been describing Auditory Processing Disorder and Specific Language Impairment, as the same set of issues being described by different professions using different terminology, to hide their ignorance and maintain their career incomes. Nothing to to do with the real issues. 

And UK audiologists only want to sell hearing aids, which are of no help to those of us  who have APD. 

so the problem is incompetent UK so called health professionals who do not want to work as part of a multi discipline support team for those of us who have the various types of APD, but only want to massage their egos .
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you @dolfrog for sharing this with us! It must be odd to know you were the first, but thank you for using this opportunity to educate us all. 
    Scope

• dolfrog
    Hi Chloe_Scope 
    Before working with the researchers running the  Medical Research Council's Auditory Processing Disorder research program, I had never read a research paper. The researchers gave me copies of their research papers to help me understand the isues. It took me three months to read the first research paper, working out the meaning of the many technical terms and the various parts of  the brain. (Which I am still not able to pronounce in speech due to my APD issues). 

Since then over the last decade or more, I have found PubMed a useful source of international research, although not completely inclusive,  When I was an active Wikipedia editor (I was only really able to update and improve the research paper referencing in various Wikipedia articles that interested me) I listed some of my PubMed research paper collections on my Wikipedia User page. I have been updating the research paper collections which may be useful for those who want to investigate a wide range of Invisible Disabilities. have a look at my Wikipedia User page .
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for this @dolfrog! I am sure it will be very useful if others on the community also have this condition :)
    Scope

• dolfrog
    Chloe_Scope 
    Well currently auditory processing disorders go undiagnosed, mainly due to the incompetent medical staff employed by the NHS, who are currently not trained nor qualified to assess and diagnose auditory processing disorder, and there are some professionals who should be part of the recommended multi discipline support team who would prefer auditory processing disorder not to exist, as it requires them to be retrained, and change the terminology regarding how they describe these issues. It would also require them to change what they currently diagnose as a condition to being a symptom of auditory processing disorders, what i would describe as professional negligence, as they are failing to identify the real issues in preference to making money out of the vulnerable and failing to make the correct referrals for an auditory processing disorder assessment, and diagnosis. And another problem is the lack of adequately trained UK audiologists who do not match current global qualifications . 
    It seems that those of us who have auditory processing disorders have to educate the so called medical professionals who should be explain auditory processing disorders to us. 
    Most who have auditory processing disorders go undiagnosed which is one of the reasons that  most dyslexics do not get the support and understanding they require, as auditory processing disorders are the underlying disability that cause their dyslexic symptom, and both expressive and receptive  speech processing abilities. So there are probably many members of the community who have never heard of auditory processing disorders, let alone , like me until i was in my late 40s that i have auditory processing disorder, which i have lived with all of my life. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for sharing this @dolfrog, I imagine this leaves you feeling very misunderstood by medical professionals. The work that you are doing to ensure people's voices are heard is amazing and I am sure your input into research is really appreciated! I hope you're having a lovely day :)
    Scope

Brightness