PIP Appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal

aoneill
aoneill Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi 

Today I went to a PIP tribunal I was claiming on grounds of my mental health I was sat in front of a panel of a judge a disability advisor and a doctor. I must say this has to be the worse experience of my life the judge and the Doctor where rude and aggressive seeing as there supposed to be impartial.The doctor basically said everyone feels sad so why are you different  I was also told they dont look at mental health side of it no more only the physical aspect I feel humiliated I also feel like I was on trial I came out of the hearing with 2 points I must say this has put me off I honestly feel so low at this moment I just want some advice on what I can do next thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. People do claim PIP successfully for mental health reasons but it's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

You now have 1 month to request the statement of reasons and record of proceedings. There's no timescale how long it will take to receive this but when you do you need to find someone to take a look to see if there's an error in law made. If there isn't then i'm afraid you can't take this any further because you can only appeal on error of law.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @aoneill and a very warm welcome to the community! I'm so sorry to hear the tribunal didn't go well! As Poppy said, it is possible to claim PIP on mental health grounds. Please be kind to yourself this afternoon/ evening, you deserve it! 
    Scope

• aoneill
    Thank you for the replys I will request the statement of reasons. The whole process is so draining physically and mentally 
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    aoneill said:
    Thank you for the replys I will request the statement of reasons. The whole process is so draining physically and mentally 
    Don’t let it get to you honestly . Please don’t as long as your alive be grateful I know your probably struggling in witch ever personal way but look up and be grateful for another day maybe I sound selfish as I don’t no how u feel but the main thing is don’t let DWP bother you 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @aoneill you're very welcome! I hope the community can support you through this challenging time and I'm sorry you are finding it draining. Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    There is nothing stopping you making a new claim provided that you get more evidence and complete the form correctly. Make a new claim with the same evidence and a copy of the previous claim form will probably result in failure.
  • aoneill
    Thank you for all the replies one part of me thinks I should re apply but would it just be rejected again  as iv just lost a tribunal hearing. As for submitting evidence I'm unsure what types to submit I did submit a letter from my GP but the panel seemed to frown about it and accused me of telling him what to say. And the other part of me thinks I should just accept that I lost.I do have mental health needs which I have had all my adult life 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Letters from a GP aren't the best evidence to send. This is because a GP very rarely knows how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors, unless of course you tell them.

Do you see anyone regarding your mental health other than your GP? have you had appointments in the past from the mental health team? letters like this are usually good to send.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • aoneill
    Hi I went for counselling back in 2016 and I'm currently going through therapy again. I also seen the crisis team in the past as well 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.