What to expect from a PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What to expect from a PIP assessment?

mattyd2209
mattyd2209 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there all my name is Matthew I’ve been ill for a while but it’s only been the last 2 years I’ve been getting help off my doctor I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, and diabetes I’ve been given tablets to help with these conditions I have to start seeing a therapist in the next few weeks to help me out and the doctor has said that they are still not 100% sure witch form of diabetes I have but I definitely have it I was rushed into hospital by my doctor who thought I was about to die lol I thought I was just having some kind of shakie fit lol they have put me on type 2 medication which is sort of working my doctors are good they phone me a fare bit and request to see me to see how I’m doing they got me to fill out some forms to apply for a medical card and told me to apply for pip I’ve applied by phone and was sent the forms which I have filled out and sent back I’ve now received a letter for an asssesment day next week all in all it’s took about 4 weeks because I haven’t had any help from no one about how to do all this I just did it on my own I have told them about my medication give them the addresses of the mental health team and my doctors whom I’m registered with but no written evidence off non of them my advisor at the job centre has been receiving letters off my doctor now they have told me not to go there any more and they phone me once a month mainly just to see how I’m doing any way cutting to the chase, I have a couple amazing friends who have been checking on me on a regular basis as I am still having some really bad days I’m going to attend the interview with pip but it’s the very least thing I’m thinking about I will be getting a lift off a friend as I don’t want to risk having some kind of breakdown or fit, pip would be nice to help me with my everyday life but in all honesty it’s the last thing I need to be stressing about and after seeing every body’s disappointments and complaints about them on here I’m not sure if I care what the out come is I just want and need to get myself better and this is exactly what I’m going to tell them I believe honesty is the best thing and if they refuse me I don’t care I won’t re appeal I will just concentrate on my own health, I’m having a little bit of an episode writing this out lol I can’t even think why I’ve decided to comment on here think I just wanted to talk to you guys and see what I can expect like I said not that the outcome is really important to me, I’m rambling on again now but hope you are all having a great day 

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    welcome to the forum, and your own health is paramount 
  • mattyd2209
    Thankyou i thought i was going to be ignored like so many other sites I’ve commented on do you know much about this assessment thing I haven’t got any idea at all I don’t know many people to ask 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Hi @mattyd2209 welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us.  I know you mentioned you may be having an episode, how are you doing now? Our members can relate to how you feel when it comes to forms and assessments, so please do not feel alone in this. 

Glad to hear the medication has been working for you, for additional support you could contact Diabetes UK. We have some information here on PIP assessments and some a YouTube video as well, that may be helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs

I can understand how you feel, if you are not happy with the decision you can always appeal, if you wish to. But your wellbeing does come first. Please feel free to talk to us, even if it's not about PIP, we have our mental health discussions group and a coffee lounge discussions group.

We look forward to seeing you on the community. :)
  • mattyd2209
    Thankyou antonia my episodes over with now I think I just needed to eat something and thankyou for the links I really appreciate it
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @mattyd2209 and welcome to the community! I'm really sorry to read about you being rushed to hospital, that can't have been a great experience. However, I'm glad they were able to give you a diagnosis and you're getting some support from your doctor. 

I've moved your post over to our PIP board so hopefully a few more of our members will see it and be able to share their experience of the PIP assessment with you. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • mattyd2209
    Thankyou Adrian like I’ve said earlier I appreciate the information as I don’t know nothing about it I kind of just thought go to the interview and just be honest I’ve given them all my doctors and nurses information hopefully that’s enough for them to give me some help till I’m feeling better I don’t have many friends and I don’t go out much so the only real help and support I’ve had over the last few years has been off my doctors and nurses or dribs and drabs of info off the net but I’m glad I come across this site so I can get a little bit more knowledge on what to expect so thankyou again
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    As regards a diabetes diagnosis. There are really only two types (in general) Type 1 and Type 2. Type one is treated with insulin injections and Type two by tablets.

Once on the medication it will take a short while for it to stabilise and you should be able to get back to a normal life. I am treated as a Type 1 with Type 3 underlying and have been for 16 years. Just as long as you take care of your diet and maintain a good blood/sugar level there is nothing that you cannot do (or even eat or drink). I also suffer from various mental health issues all of which are controlled by way of medication.
    There is life at the end of the tunnel just never rule yourself out. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mattyd2209
    Hi there guys there treating me for type 2 it’s lowered my sugar levels but not to a normal level so the hospital have requested more bloods which I should here back about by wed next week the doc and nurse told me to apply for pip so I phoned them and did a 30 min thing with them on the phone they sent the forms I filled them out and sent them back now I have a appointment with them by the jewellery quarters in Birmingham next Thursday I dont know much about it I watched the video that was posted and it kind of sounds like I have to explain all the ways it effects me and what I can’t do, to be excepted? I am just going to be honest with them and see how it goes I was hoping somebody on here may have been in a similar position and give me a heads up on what will happen like will I need to take my tee 2 machine so they can see my results of my bloods or a urine sample do I need to ask my doctor for any paper work these are the things that a medical professional would probably need so I’m not sure what I should take or entirely sure what will happen there the more I think about it and the closer it gets the more I’m panicking and I don’t know why because whether they except more or not I’m in good hands and looking after myself the way I should be any info on the process would be greatly appreciated, thanks again guys.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.