Will a non dependent living with us and working full time affect our Benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will a non dependent living with us and working full time affect our Benefits?

littlebettyboop
littlebettyboop Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My husband and I receive EESA, higher rates of PIP both mobility and care, have the Carers Premium of EESA.  Our son now has a full time job and lives with us.  What effect will that have on our Benefits?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you claim housing benefit because you claim PIP then non dependent deductions do not apply to you and your HB won't be affected. You do need to report that he's living with you to your local council though. Your tax credits could be affected.

If you were claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then you'll no longer be entitled to this and you need to ring ESA to report the changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • littlebettyboop
    Thanks poppy123456, but I don't quite understand.  We don't claim Housing Benefit as we are house owners, I don't think we get Tax Credits. The EESA is Income related.
  • poppy123456
    EESA is just a code they use for paying money into your bank. It's actually ESA Income Related. Do you claim carers allowance for each other or are you claim severe disability premium in with your ESA? Please check your ESA award letter and it will tell you what exactly you receive.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • littlebettyboop
    Have just checked.  We get extra because we are both severely disabled, and because we are both carers
  • poppy123456
    Have just checked.  We get extra because we are both severely disabled, and because we are both carers
    The severe disability premium is £131.70 per week (couples rate) from 8th April this year, slightly less in previous years. Does it say this amount on your award letter?
  • littlebettyboop
  • poppy123456
    £128.60

Yes, this is the amount before April 8th 2019. This means you're both claiming severe disability premium because you're severely disabled. As your son is now living with you, you won't be entitled to claim this unless your son also claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care.

You need to ring ESA to report the changes that your son is now living with you.
  • littlebettyboop
    Our son has always lived with us and this is his first full time job.  He has Asperger's and has been on DLA indefinitely.  However he has just had to change to a PIP and we are awaiting the result of his Claim.  He went for an Assessment last week, so who knows what the outcome will be.  So far he has claimed ESA independently and has informed the DWP of his new employment.  We have just phoned the DWP and they want details of his employment and salary.  I was just wondering what the effect would be on our own Claim.  I sincerely hope that they do not expect him to fully support us.  I expect some change, ie deduction of his board and lodging (rent), but to deduct £131.60 seems excessive.  We aren't going to charge him that much for his contribution to the household.  He wouldn't have much left for himself!

• poppy123456
    I was answering your question based on the information you gave.

Him starting work will not affect your benefits except if he isn't awarded daily living PIP, you will lose the severe disability premium because of the criteria that comes with it. If he's awarded it then your money will stay the same.

• littlebettyboop
    Thanks for your help
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My partner’s disabled sister currently lives with us. Only certain benefits like the SDP might stop because you don’t qualify anymore. If I were you I would call them tomorrow morning to discuss everything. Also inform them of the changes in your situation. She is not severely disabled so we don’t claim that particular benefit from DWP. She has just started looking for work in our area too at my request as she is 18 now.  
  • poppy123456
    At the moment they still qualify for the SDP because the son claims DLA mid/high rate care. If the PIP decision doesn't go in his favour and he's not awarded daily living PIP then the SDP will stop for them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.