Moving from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from DLA to PIP

Norbs66
Norbs66 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
Hi I have just received a letter to inform me my DLA is coming to a end and to apply for PIP. I am currently in the support group of ESA and was only placed in that group in august 2018 after having undergone a medical assessment with ATOS. My question is will I have to have another assessment with PIP and do they take into account I am in the support group after a recent assessment. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Norbs66 welcome to the community! Yes, you will need to attend an assessment for PIP as PIP and ESA are two completely different benefits.

Your ESA will not be affected as PIP is not a means-tested benefit. Let us know if you have any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Norbs66
    Thank you for the welcome. I have yet to call PIP to inform them I wish to claim. I will let them know I am in the support group will they check my file which will have the latest assessment report? Stressing as I am worrying about whether I will be successful. I have spinal degenrative disc disease and have to use crutches to walk. Bi lateral carpal tunnel, IBS and severe depression. It has been a constant fight and so I was shocked when I was finally moved to the support group and I settled down a bit and now this up coming change and I am stressing again 
  • Ami2301
    Do you mean, will PIP check your latest assessment from ESA or DLA? Sorry, I was confused!
  • Norbs66
    Apologie my most recent assessment was July with ESA and I got the decision in August and I was moved into the support group 
  • Ami2301
    Unfortunately as PIP is completely different to ESA, you will need a separate assessment. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry, we have lots of advice and tips we can provide you with and a lovely community who will be more than happy to answer any questions you have :)
  • Norbs66
    Hi Mike
    Thank you for your advice that is helpful. I don't have a copy of my ESA report so should I call them to request a copy or would PIP request it direct from them if I tell them about my recent assessment 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Norbs66 said:
    Hi Mike
    Thank you for your advice that is helpful. I don't have a copy of my ESA report so should I call them to request a copy or would PIP request it direct from them if I tell them about my recent assessment 
    They won't request it them self. Best thing to do is ring ESA and request a copy to be sent to you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    When you call PIP they should ask if you want your DLA evidence to be taken into account. Query it if they don’t and... yes you do. Whilst you need to make a claim to PIP it does not automatically follow that you’ll be called for assess,ENT. Providing a copy of your ESA report and asking them to use your DLA evidence gives you at least a shot at avoiding a face to face assessment so don’t assume it’s automatic as it isn’t. 
    For those who weren't aware of their rights and when you make the first telephone call to start the claim off they conveniently ignored telling the claimant that they had the right to ask for the DLA file to be used & any other evidence that the DWP had eg ESA report and critically didn't inform the claimant of the right to be treated as a 'vulnerable person'.
    Just seems a bit off when it comes to advising claimants of their rights.

• Norbs66
    Hi all I hope everyone is well.
    I took the plunge today and called PIP and said I had received a letter to say my DLA is ending and should apply for PIP. Nothing was asked about my conditions and the lady was reading a lot of official jargon at a quick rate. She said a form would be sent out to me and would I need help completing the form and I said yes and she asked who and I said my son who is my carer. She asked for his name and phone number. She did not ask if I wanted to use my current medical details on file with DLA so I said I wanted those notes to he taken into consideration she said to enter that on the form. I explained I had a assessment in July with ESA and they had moved me into the support group again she said include that on the form. The call hasnt exactly left me feeling confident and I found it all very stern
  • poppy123456
    When you fill out the form i'd advise you to put as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Use extra sheets of paper if you have to. Adding at least 2 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Any extra sheets of paper you use make sure you add your name and NI number to everything.

If you need extra time to return it then ring DWP to ask for an extra 14 days and they'll happily give you that. Providing the form is received back within this time then your DLA will continue until a decision's made on the PIP.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Norbs66
    Hi All
    A update re PIP claim. I called yesterday to let them know I want to claim PIP as being moved from DLA. I have received a text today to say the form has been posted to me. I called ESA today to request a copy of my medical report from the ESA assessment I had in July 2018. 3 times I called and waited 30mins on hold. On second call I got passed to the wrong dept so had to call again and wait 30mins on hold. I eventually got through and spoke with a lovely lady who will speaking to me printed off my report and is posting it today. For anyone needing to request a report when you call you need to ask for "Right of access request" then they can access your report and send it. I have no idea if my report will help me with my PIP claim as when I went for my assessment the doctor stopped my assessment after 20 minutes and said she had enough evidence. We had only gone through at that point my mental health and hadn't got onto my physical issues. I was in incredible pain that day and had to stand up as I couldnt bare sitting anymore. When I stood up she stopped the assessment. I left and then worried if she would interpret my standing as I was leaving and then be kicked off ESA but no I got moved into the support group instead. So I really don't know how much content will be in my report 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @Norbs66, thanks for updating us. I'm glad you finally managed to get a copy of your ESA report sent to you, how frustrating it took so much time and so many calls!
    Best of luck with your PIP claim, do keep in mind that they have different descriptors to ESA so your ESA report may not be of relevance. 
    Let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Norbs66
    Hi @Norbs66, thanks for updating us. I'm glad you finally managed to get a copy of your ESA report sent to you, how frustrating it took so much time and so many calls!
    Best of luck with your PIP claim, do keep in mind that they have different descriptors to ESA so your ESA report may not be of relevance. 
    Let us know how you get on. :)
    Thank you I will
  • Norbs66
    Hi I received my pip application form which took 10 days to get to me from the point I received a text to say they had been posted. I am meant to complete and return them by June 1st can I ask for more time to complete them? Also a friend of mine went for a pip assessment April 27th she received a letter to say her report had been received and is with the decision maker. I advised her to call and request a copy of her report which she did on Monday. They told her she couldnt have a copy as they are close to making a decision and they cant release the report in case they need to change any points awarded in the report. 1 I thought you could have a copy of your report and 2 can they change the points awarded in the report. Makes me wonder because if they do that they may have earned more points in the report and once it gets to the decison maker they edit it and maybe award less. Which indicates they dont fully merit their decision on the report unless which I doubt they award more points? Any advise please
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You can ask for a further 14 days to return the form
    The assessment report is just a recomendation to the DWP and a case maker can change the points both up or down
    You are entitled to a copy of the report, some of the phone jockeys will tell you anything to get you off the phone without having to do anything. Try ringing again and you may get a different answer
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    The only time they won't send the report out is if you live in Northern Ireland and then you have to wait until a decision is made.
  • Norbs66
    Thank you Cockney Rebel I will let her know and I shall call for a extension for me. Thank you poppy123456 that is helpful to know 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.