Anyone switched from DLA to PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone switched from DLA to PIP?

Valerie57
Valerie57 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, my husband has been receiving DLA for quite a few years now. He was awarded middle rate care and higher rate mobility indefinitely for both..he has now received his letter for a PIP claim. Has anyone been entitled to PIP in this situation, he has a dicky ticker and it's already stressing him out.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Valerie57 welcome to the community! Many of our community members have gone through the transition from DLA to PIP. The criteria for PIP is different to the criteria of DLA. PIP is not based on what condition/disability you have, instead it is based on how your condition prevents you carrying out everyday tasks and your mobility.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    Loads of people have switched . Everyone comments the bad but never posts the good but I can say majority of people I know changing over with severe disabilities have had there money/awards dropped because of lies an inconsistencies. But not everyone good luck 
  • Valerie57
    Thanks for the advice.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When you ring to start your claim you should ask for your DLA file to be used as evidence. Once you have the PIP2 form you should put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

If you don't have enough time to return the form you can ring to ask for a further 14 days.

They very rarely contact anyone for evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim.

Providing the forms are returned on time your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Valerie57 and I wish you the very best of luck! Please do keep us updated on how you get on :)
    Scope

• Valerie57
    Thanks again everyone
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @Valerie57  A great many of us have been through this experience and not always successfully. I got called in to be switched and can honestly say it was one of the most stressful periods of my life, even though I was "lucky" enough to be successful.  I suffer from multiple disabilities including cardiac issues.

The only advice I can offer is to be totally honest but at the same time not to volunteer too much information.  Very sorry to say that there really is no way to avoid the worry that you have to face.  Please keep us updated.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.