The lasting affect of the PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The lasting affect of the PIP assessment

GandMBB
GandMBB Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I went to my assessment last week and I am still getting over it. 

From the outset I was unnerved by the lady who was very abrupt verging on rude, no she was rude!

When I tried to explain some of my difficulties her stock reply was "I'm not interested in that" When I said I couldn't use an oven she asked me if I had learning difficulties.

Al in all not a very good experience and I am not holding my breath for a good outcome 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @GandMBB :) 

I am sorry to hear about the experience you had at your assessment. Was the assessment for PIP or ESA?

How are you doing today?
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GandMBB

Welcome to our online community/family.

Yes I had mine 2wks this Friday.

She was also very very strange!!!!!

When she arrived I was in the process of doing my catheterise.

It will be very very interesting to see her report as I was only able to do limited tasks.

@steve51
  • GandMBB
    Hi it was a PIP assessment. Today I am not well at all but gotta keep the chin up x
  • steve51
    Hi @GandMBB

Yes my assessment was very very strange to be honest.

I do hope that yours goes okay!!!!!

I also hope that you are feeling better!!!!!

@steve51
  • GandMBB
    Thank you Steve, 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Hi @GandMBB thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well. If there's anyway we can help, please let us know and keep us updated. I hope you feel a bit better today. :) Best wishes.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @steve51 how are you doing today? I am sorry to hear your assessment was strange. I hope the report will be accurate, keep us posted. :)
  • GandMBB
    I will keep you posted about it not expecting a good result though 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @GandMBB I can understand why you'd feel this way, but fingers crossed it goes well.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GandMBB and welcome to the community! Thank you taking the time to share this with us all and I'm sorry it was such a horrible experience. I have my fingers crossed for you- whatever the outcome the community will be able to support you through this :)
    Scope

• steve51
    Hi @Antonia_Scope

Many thanks - I don’t know how things will turn out after reading all of the “Horror Stories”

“Fingers & Toes Crossed” 

@steve51
  • Antonia_Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Hi @steve51 no problem. I can understand how you feel. Yes *fingers and toes crossed* Do let us know, if you need support. Good luck :)
  • steve51
    Hi @Antonia_Scope

Many thanks - yes I will keep you updated.

@steve51
  • struggle2222
    struggle2222 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
    I hope all goes well for you and Lee your chin up. The people that carry out the assessment seem to be a rather odd bunch of people that smile at you while stabbing you at the same time!!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    This is all too common unfortunately. I took my son to our first assessment last summer around this time of year. I hated the assessor who was told to carry out the assessment. [edited by moderator]
    I read the assessment report that came in the mail afterwards and showed it to a social worker too. I contacted them to contest the decision. I took them to tribunal.
    Keep us updated. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them. 
  • struggle2222
    edited May 2019
    This is all too common unfortunately. I took my son to our first assessment last summer around this time of year. I hated the assessor who was told to carry out the assessment. [edited by moderator]
    I read the assessment report that came in the mail afterwards and showed it to a social worker too. I contacted them to contest the decision. I took them to tribunal.
    May I ask how long the whole process from MR to tribunal took? I have only requested a MR on Monday this week and am anxious knowing I’m probably going to be waiting months and months for Ann outcome 
  • struggle2222
    edited May 2019
    Oh and did you win the tribunal?

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    It took two months. Yes we won our case with evidence from our medical team. My social worker was a good source of information and moral support too. 
  • struggle2222
    It took two months. Yes we won our case with evidence from our medical team. My social worker was a good source of information and moral support too. 
    Two months? That seems very fast I’ve heard stories about it being no less than 6 months! I do hope it can be worked out for me in that time frame. Because they removed my pip daily living altogether I even lost the esa premiums which has left me with pennies to live on per month after rent etc!!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    In many areas the wait can be a year or more
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.