Son's PIP Review has left me livid. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son's PIP Review has left me livid.

onlygirl
onlygirl Community member Posts: 19 Connected
My 21 year old son struggles through life with ASD, Dyspraxia, Behavioural problems, social anxiety and ADD.
I've recently had him for a review. The HCP could not have mistakenly noted that no impairment, normal eye contact, no anxiety, answered every question promptly and efficiently without mother's interject. Can peel veg, cook on a gas cooker, travel alone without problem, engage efficiently...all she forgot to add was he could double backflip landing on his flat feet...no problems at all... and recommends he will be fab for at least 18 months..  
She claimed his EHCP is not relevant because my son was ill and did not attend the review..AND was all written by me and inconsistent with her findings.
I absolutely knew, we were late for his assessment and she was hacked off. Abrupt and stern. Thoroughly unpleasant.
She was clearly irritated by me but luckily my son didn't notice, he had his head down playing with his hands.
Everything in her report is in complete contrast to what happened, what she asked and my answering for him.
She gave medication advice then claimed no longer taking it. She noted Dyspraxia managed with mild antidepressants and he had outgrown ADHD.
She noted no impairment of ASD.
On getting up to leave she then stated...Her son is ASD, has a job, drives a car is married with child and at that I knew it was gonna be another battle.
I've emailed my MP. Sent in his MR now gonna complain to DWP and ATOS.
MP secretary asked for copies of everything and after reading he has hotline direct to DWP...
I'm so angry right now

Comments

• benjamintolmer
    benjamintolmer Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Don't angry be calm, everything will be ok. Have patience.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I know how you feel, this seems to be happening often where these people who aren't medically trained state that people have no problems, I've had the same happen to me, lots of porkies and him stating things that aren't true, by looks at the report it looks as though he's changed my award from being about my mental health with 8 points in moving around enhanced for both to being about my physical health at standard rate, I've had a lot more treatment for mental illnesses than I have physical, the assessment was recorded as well.

Sorry this has happened to your son, I'm also very annoyed and once I get the decision letter there will be a mr going in if needed and a complaint about the assessor to Capita.
  • struggle2222
    struggle2222 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
    The assessors are (in my opinion) trained liars. They’re the worst. I question whether they’re health care professionals at all!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2019
    When I said that about them not being medically trained it was stated on another forum by a Welfare Rights officer. Also my previous GP refused to give them a lot of information stating they weren't medically trained.

• onlygirl
    onlygirl Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Thanks everyone, I'm so angry on a personal level however I know they are not interested in personal feelings...yesterday I sent in a MR and addressed every point I disagreed with. So hoping I don't have to take it to appeal. I'm just writing up my complaint. Sending a copy to ATOS and DWP and my local MP.
    It's bewildering when this sort of thing happens and more so when you know they haven't been honest and truthful in their assessment. I can't even think she made a mistake or maybe my son handled himself well because that's not what happened. While I agree the benefit system needed overhauling, I know a few people who over the years claimed DLA when they shouldn't have...however fairness and honesty should come from both sides...and the escalating complaints prove they are not...I'm confident he will get his award back however the stress of assessments or tribunal is detrimental to his mental health.
    It's so unfair ?
  • struggle2222
    struggle2222 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
    onlygirl said:
    Thanks everyone, I'm so angry on a personal level however I know they are not interested in personal feelings...yesterday I sent in a MR and addressed every point I disagreed with. So hoping I don't have to take it to appeal. I'm just writing up my complaint. Sending a copy to ATOS and DWP and my local MP.
    It's bewildering when this sort of thing happens and more so when you know they haven't been honest and truthful in their assessment. I can't even think she made a mistake or maybe my son handled himself well because that's not what happened. While I agree the benefit system needed overhauling, I know a few people who over the years claimed DLA when they shouldn't have...however fairness and honesty should come from both sides...and the escalating complaints prove they are not...I'm confident he will get his award back however the stress of assessments or tribunal is detrimental to his mental health.
    It's so unfair ?
    Let me know how you get on with your MR I started mine this week on Monday. Chin up!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Good luck to you both, I'm still waiting for my decision before I can do my MR.
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.