Rang DWP today after PIP tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rang DWP today after PIP tribunal

melissahicking2019
melissahicking2019 Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi , recently my friend won his tribunal for PIP and today he went and rang them without consulting with me 1st. obviously im not in control of what he does but im just a little concerned that he may of jumped the gun.

Either way the phone call he made was apparently good news

the DWP asked him if he had been in hospital in last month , been abroad in last month or been in prison. They also asked for his bank details.

Im assuming this is the final stage before they make their payment and award ect.

Although these questions where asked my friend was also told the payments can take between 4-6 weeks.

So does this mean he can safely say that he has won and they are not going to ask for an SOR
or should we still be on our guard of the DWP asking for the SOR.

I just feel that you can never be certain with the DWP until they actually send an award letter and payment.

Thank your any advice.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It usually takes the DWP 5-8 weeks to put a tribunal award into payment. They do have 28 days to ask for the statement of reason but seldom do they take it any further.
    The questions that were asked are normal before any backdate paments are made, but don't go booking exotic holidays until the money is in the bank
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • melissahicking2019
    lol. i wish it was my money to book a taxi with lol but its not its my friends. im more concerned about applying for carers for him and arranging a suitable care as he really needs the support, especially after the lengthy appeal process.

But until his award is back in action we cannot arrange anything, and i just want to get it all sorted for him so i can concentrate on my own illness and problems.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I know this is not really easy but all you can do is wait. I also wondered what why it took them two months to make a decision in our favor. It was hard at first. I repeatedly emailed them to check on things. My first piece of advice is to dont rush. Before you start making all your plans wait for the money to come into your bank account first. I would lie in bed at night making plans then realise that they were still deciding. 
  • CockneyRebel
    Does your friend claim ESA ?
    Are you going to be his carer ?
  • melissahicking2019
    edited May 2019
    he does receive ESA support group yes. i was his previous carer but im now at stage 4 kidney disease and will be going onto dialysis within the next 6-8 month and awaiting a kidney transplant

so im not in the best position to become his full time carer again, and iv also been doing everything i can for him with his family throughout the appeal as he would of ended up in hospital care otherwise and he fears this greatly and his family where fearing his institutionalization

so everybody did everything they could for him in terms of home care, but we cannot be his full time carers so he requires a proper carer , but until he gets his PIP we cannot arrange this and have to wait for his award first. But as soon as this happens we can speak with his psychiatrist and intervention keyworker to have everything arranged.
  • CockneyRebel
    I am sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully you will not have to wait to long.
    I asked about his ESA wondering if he claimed SDP as this will affect carers element
  • melissahicking2019
    edited May 2019
    CockneyRebel said:
    I am sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully you will not have to wait to long.
    I asked about his ESA wondering if he claimed SDP as this will affect carers element
    No he does not receive the SDP as his needs do require a carer, so we will defiantly be seeking a carer for him. the money he gets is more than enough for his personal needs and on PIP with a carer we managed to stabilize his finances and everything else without to much of a problem.

Without a carer and his budgeting being looked after correctly he falls into debt easy, especially with things like TV and water rates ect. So the money he does not receive getting a carer assures a peaceful and stable environment without too much hassle and we donnot want to deviate from that, especially now we / i cannot provide personal assistance like i could before. 

I will always be there for him to read mail and do what i can for him from my own home but as for visiting him daily like i used to he is going to require a full time carer to help support him with daily activity's ect.

his personal opinion is that he enjoys the company of  a daily visit from a carer and appreciates the help as everyday is a struggle for him in an array of problems from cleaning to shopping ect. So we have made our mind up about the carer and are just awaiting the final decision so we can move forward and arrange everything for him..

Another factor to bare in mind is that my friend's whole life has been in care , from a residential school upto the age of 16 and then his schizophrenia began so he was still regarded as special needs and cared for by his family

Then at the age of 20 where he lost the use of his main right hand in a window accident so then required even greater care along with dyslexia and schizophrenia and a locked hand he has required daily help all his life and he has grown use to the help.

We have tried before to leave him to his own devices but he soon became reclusive and depressed and self neglected so we donnot wish to put him back into that position again so a carer is the natural option for him.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You are totally misunderstanding the SDP and carer question. He's entitled to claim the SDP because he lives alone which i explained to you in another thread previously. If he employs a carer and pays them then this carer will not claim carers allowance for looking after him because they will most likely be earning too much money to claim it.

Usually a family member/friend will claim the carers allowance and not the employed person.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • melissahicking2019
    edited May 2019
    oh, im confused now lol. iv been under the impression that a proper carer would receive the payments for being the carer.

I see what you are saying though about a family member being carer. it would be the best solution, but he has nobody whom could fit the position only myself. His mother passed away over 5 years ago. he has 2 brothers. 1 of them works full time and the other is a problem..

So there is little option in terms of a family/friend being carer. This is why we are going to speak to his psychiatrist and intervention keyworker to see what help is available. Im a little confused now poppy.  what do you suggest we do..

Can he be provided with a carer for free by the state and also receive SDP

or is it going to end up that he cannot get a carer or the help he needs as  he will end up in hospital.

I thought a carer could be a professional carer also that receives the carers allowance.

sorry if i seem a little dumb, but iv got no idea what to do other than look after him myself.

i guess i am going to have to do some homework .

I dont want to take money away from him if hes entitled it. Il have a good mooch and find out what i can.

thanks for everybody's help.

• poppy123456
    If he employs a professional carer then they won't be able to claim the carers allowance because they will most likely be earning more than £123 per week after deductions. Those that earn more than this can't claim carers allowance.

Employing the carer doesn't mean he won't be entitled to the SDP. He will be entitled to claim this because he lives alone.

His local council may not pay for all of his care, he may have to pay for some but this will depend on his circumstances. He needs to refer himself for a needs assessment for the carer. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/needs-assessment

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • melissahicking2019
    ok i understand now. il look into it, thanks again.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.