Advice with finding employment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice with finding employment

Maxo_
Maxo_ Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2019 in Work and employment
Hello I'm max! I'm 22 years old, I have Nystagmus, Hypothyroidism and Gout to name the main problems. 

After being singed off from work for 3 years, and recently being denied for PIP resubmission, (in the process of going to tribunal).

I want to get out there and find a job. I have previous experience with Racing Greyhounds in a fast paced kennel.

I would love to find a job in a pet shop or similar but I can't drive, I can't walk far not much access to public transport and finding a job seems impossible! 

Has anyone got any advice for me? Thank you, 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Maxo_ Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to your question.  I would have a look on line.

Have you contacted the association that deal with Grey hound racing.? Could be an idea.

Ask and see what they can offer.

Something to consider.

Please ask if we can help and advise with anything.  Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maxo_ and a very warm welcome to the community! I wish you the very best of luck with your PIP tribunal- we have a PIP board which you may find helpful if you have any questions regarding this, we also have an employment board. 

For employment, you may be interested in the Support to Work scheme that Scope run, more information about that can be found here.

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maxo_ welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hi @Maxo_ welcome to the community.
  • Maxo_

Hello @Maxo_ Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to your question.  I would have a look on line.

Have you contacted the association that deal with Grey hound racing.? Could be an idea.

Ask and see what they can offer.

Something to consider.

Please ask if we can help and advise with anything.  Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! 

I want to try something new, the greyhounds are amazing to work with but just too fast paced for me now. I need something slow paced but semi physical which seems impossible, I have applied for places like sainsbury and pets at home but pets at home flat refuse to take me in for an interview and sainsburys want me to start at 4am for 3 hrs shifts! I have terrible night vision and walking there at that time seems daunting. 
  • Maxo_
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maxo_

Good Morning it’s great to meet you today!!

I have used “Access to Work” in the past.

They will help/support you.

Here’s some info below for you.

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

Please let me know if you have any problems/questions ????

@steve51
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Maxo_, how are you doing? Welcome to the community and good luck. Please let us know how you get on! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Maxo_ Thank you for your reply.

Understand the issues and problems getting a job while being disabled.

I would consider looking at employment agencies.

Found this one on line called.

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

There are agencies run by those of our community who help members of our community.

Another suggestion is look on line as I suggested but look at Councils services.

Many Council services have some links to Employment and Skills.

My County Council issues a booklet of services including the links above.

Have a look on line your local County Council.

Their website should have listings plus business ideas and support. Something else to look at.

Being self employed could be another idea. I have done this myself .  In the past.

May I suggest have a look at that.  If not finding work or having problems.

Lots on websites. Also speak to your County Council business advisors.

Please can I advise make a list of all your skills, talents and abilities.  That you have as well your achievements.

Something to think about before you wish to apply for anything employment. Add to that anything else you have.

People and communication are good with them.  For example.  Recognise certain other abilities you may have.  Such as knowledge of your disability or conditions you have.

Many have related organisations. Which in turn need staff.  Inspiration people to heal and help others.

Note all this down.  Anything else you would need or would like to have.

Qualifications.

I have done this myself and find if you consider other options.  Other avenues.

Hope that helps.

Wish you well in your tribunal and anything else you do.

Always here to be supportive.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community 

I would see if the local council can help you find meaningful jobs. What skills do you have? Draw up a list of ideas and skills you have that are required for the workplace. Research companies carefully before the interview so that you can answer questions. Also read the job description carefully and highlight or circle key words. 
    Do you have a resume or not? Oftentimes you can find job opportunities online. Start small.
    Then build up. Focus on the big picture. Another good source of information is career books. One piece of advice is to remain positive. What do you want to do? What are your interests and hobbies? 
    This blog post is a useful resource as well- https://dyscalculia-blog.com/2019/03/13/jobs-and-job-hunting-tips-for-people-with-disabilities/

Brightness