Tribunals PIP for mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunals PIP for mental health

Options
mammyoftwo
mammyoftwo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my daughter is 27 and was on enhanced rate pip for 3 years she recently had her medical and got 0 points on anything. She has had low mood since 2011, anxiety and suicidal ideation since 2016, and a psychiatry diagnosis off severe depression with psychotic symptoms. She finds it very difficult to get out the house and her GP usually rings her rather then her having to go to her doctors. She has recently been referred back to the community mental health team due to the severity of her mental health this is all stated in a support letter from her GP. She is om citalopram for her mood and rencently got put on diazepam as shes started picking her sick uncontrollably. She has a history of self harm which she hasnt done in a year but all this stress she has to use things she learnt off her mental health team to stop her she said she has an overwhelming feeling on a daily basis to self harm. She has recieved a letter off tribunals service saying "if you wish to attend a hearing" so im wondering if this is a good sign or should we attend to put her case across. Since november her mental health has gone down hill and needs another assessment to see if there is anything else going on with her. Any advice would be great as weve never done this before. 

Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,262 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Appearing in person will give her the best chance of a decision in her favour. 71% of those that do appear win. If she requests a paper based decision then it drops to between 5-8%.

She will have to answer all the questions herself unless she has an appointee and then they will be able to answer on her behalf. You will still be able to attend the hearing with her, if you're not her appointee.

Any worsening of condition since the decision was made won't be taken into consideration.

Tribunal waiting times are long because of backlogs in most areas, some are waiting as long as 1 year.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @mammyoftwo and welcome to the community.
    Poppy's given some great advice about the tribunal. However, you mention that your daughter's been referred back to the mental health team. How is the communication there and do you feel confident in the support she's getting?
    In case you're not aware, MIND have some fantastic resources for dealing with the urge to self-harm, in both the short and long term, so perhaps these coping techniques might be useful for her in addition to what the team have been suggesting.
    Please let us know how this progresses and if you need any more advice, don't hesitate to ask.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.