Hi... new to forum... should I apply for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi... new to forum... should I apply for PIP?

devmc
devmc Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all... I've recently had surgery on my back due to slipped/ broken discs.. though the surgery has relieved the pain in my leg my foot is still numb and I have partial footdrop to my right foot.  I'm still in shock a little as this all happened very quickly.
I work part time, though have been signed off for ther next couple of months,  is it worth me putting an application in for PIP? Another patient in the ward told me to get a claim in as it takes months if you are accepted.  My surgeon has said as my condition is nerve based I may get some feeling back but I may not.. at the moment (and it is early days) I need help standing,  sitting,  dressing and getting in and out of the shower (most other help is due to the actual surgery and hopefully I will be able to function a little better as ther scar heals).  I am unable to drive for 8-weeks due to the surgery but im not sure id be able to drive with a numb foot anyway.. any advice would be smashing.  Thank you.  Sarah

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @devmc welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what you've recently been through! In regards to PIP, have you tried the online PIP self-test? This is only a guideline but it gives you an idea of what you may be entitled to. If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to let us know! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • devmc
    Thank you so much.. I have had a good look.. thank you so much for this site.  As I say im a little overwhelmed by the speed of everything but am finding lots of helpful advice on here. Thank you so much.  Sarah
  • Ami2301
    No problem! I understand about feeling overwhelmed, it's like this tornado has suddenly come out of nowhere! If you need to talk, we are always here :)
  • devmc
    Thank you so much... I've just done the test you suggested and will phone to apply on Tuesday. It's really great to know people are up and about and willing to help.  I hope you have a lovely,  sunny day.  Sarah
  • Ami2301
    I hope you can enjoy the sun today too :)
  • nettynorrit
    nettynorrit Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi everyone, i am worried sick about my pip assessment, i have rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson's disease, i already had dla for life, i have been reading some of the horror stories, and its making me ill to think i have got to go thru that
  • Ami2301
    Hi @nettynorrit we do only hear about the horror stories and very rarely the good. I've had a good experience with PIP. I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to worry. If you have any questions then please let us know :)
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @devmc and welcome

For PIP to be awarded you must have had your condition for 3 months and expect it to continue for a further 9 months
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • devmc
    That's super.. maybe I'll just rest up and revisit the thought when I'm back up on my feet x
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @devmc

Good Evening it’s great to meet you today ???

That’s great, please please come back to us when you are ready to start things.

We can help/support you through things if required????

@steve51
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nettynorrit

Please please don’t worry as we have a number of good stories with regards to the “pip assessments”

At what stage are you with your Pip ??????

@steve51

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.