I've seen a lot of things that need to be challenged — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've seen a lot of things that need to be challenged

bonnielassie
bonnielassie Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
This is my first time here. For most of my working life I've worked with disabled people. Now I'm disabled too. Already I've seen a lot of things that need to be challenged. For example, a man came up to me when I was on my mobility scooter and said 'that looks like great fun! Are you enjoying it motoring round this lake?' I replied by saying 'i'd much rather walk round'! He realised what he'd said!

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bonnielassie welcome to the community! Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go as to challenging comments from others! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @bonnielassie welcome to the community :) How are you doing today? Thank you for sharing this with us. I agree, it's a challenge but hopefully people think a little longer before speaking to people.

We have a disabled people discussions group, you may like to join.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    edited May 2019
    Welcome to the community @bonnielassie and thank you for sharing.

Brilliant response. I bet he felt like a bit of a plonker after that. :wink:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • bonnielassie
    @Adrian_Scope. I've remembered something else. I was planning a rail journey recently and asked for assistance. Because my local station is so small I was told the conductor helps you onto the train as there's nobody at the station but the conductor only helps people who are visually impaired. almost found myself feeling grateful that I have sight problems! Has anybody else heard of this please?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hello @bonnielassie, I’m so sorry for the slow reply, I don’t seem to have received a notification of your response. 

That’s ridiculous, I can’t believe they only help visually impaired passengers, surely anyone needing assistance at the station should receive it. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    It can be hard sometimes. I seize the opportunity to educate people who don’t understand. 
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I am a lifelong wheelchair user and always say things like "going for a walk" I can understand someone with an acquired illness or disability not using that term, for me going for a wheel or push just sounds a bit silly.

At appointments people often ask me to "take a seat" then turn ashen when they realise what they have side, always makes me smile.

I wonder if the guy who spoke to the OP would have said the same to someone on a bike, scooter or similar
  • bonnielassie
    @Adrian_Scope all I can say is that that is what I was told!
  • bonnielassie
    @Garza - I doubt it as they would have been going faster than me. I can't remember exactly what was said, but the man did say something that showed me he realised what he had said and that it was inappropriate.

Brightness