ESA and carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and carers allowance

wild_one
wild_one Community member Posts: 95 Connected
If my daughter (20yrs old) is living with me (ESA HB CTR) and wants to claim carers allowance for my dad, will it affect my financial position?

Thanks

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @wild_one, thanks for your question. It's a tricky one, so I'm going to and seek some expert advice and hopefully will get back to you with a detailed response.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • wild_one
    Hi @wild_one, thanks for your question. It's a tricky one, so I'm going to and seek some expert advice and hopefully will get back to you with a detailed response.
    I should point out that my daughter lives with me, but is neither working or claiming having recently ended her own ESA claim. But my Dad lives alone now my mum is in care and my daughter spends time at his house helping so may as well claim carers?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @wild_one! Now your dad's living alone, is he claiming SDP (Severe Disability Premium) because if he is, your daughter claiming Carers Allowance means he will lose this. I'm still waiting to hear back about the rest of your question, but wanted to check this for you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • wild_one
    Hi @wild_one! Now your dad's living alone, is he claiming SDP (Severe Disability Premium) because if he is, your daughter claiming Carers Allowance means he will lose this. I'm still waiting to hear back about the rest of your question, but wanted to check this for you.
    I don't think he gets SDP. I think he claims attendance allowance Im not totally sure.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with Adrian, because he now lives alone he can claim the severe disability premium because he claims attendance allowance. He wouldn't have been eligible when your mum was living there but now he is. This is an extra £65.85 per week. If your daughter claims carers allowance for looking after him he won't be able to claim the SDP. This is paid in with pension credit.

Also if your daughter is a student (full time) then she won't be able to claim carers allowance. If she works and earns more than £123 per week after deductions then this will also mean that she won't be able to claim it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wild_one
    I agree with Adrian, because he now lives alone he can claim the severe disability premium because he claims attendance allowance. He wouldn't have been eligible when your mum was living there but now he is. This is an extra £65.85 per week. If your daughter claims carers allowance for looking after him he won't be able to claim the SDP. This is paid in with pension credit.

Also if your daughter is a student (full time) then she won't be able to claim carers allowance. If she works and earns more than £123 per week after deductions then this will also mean that she won't be able to claim it.

Thanks Poppy, so just to confirm. Bearing in mind she lives with me, and claims carers for my dad it won't affect my ESA and HB/CTR situtation?
  • poppy123456
    Is your daughter a student?

Does she work?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wild_one
    Is your daughter a student?

Does she work?

No, not claiming or working
  • poppy123456
    If your daughter claims carers allowance for looking after your dad then he will be losing out on claiming the severe disability premium he could claim because he lives alone. This is an extra £65.85 per week for your dad which is an awful lot of money to lose out on.  it can also passport him to other benefits because he would be claiming pension credit. I'd advise a visit to his local CAB for a full benefits check before your daughter claims carers allowance for him.
  • wild_one
    If your daughter claims carers allowance for looking after your dad then he will be losing out on claiming the severe disability premium he could claim because he lives alone. This is an extra £65.85 per week for your dad which is an awful lot of money to lose out on.  it can also passport him to other benefits because he would be claiming pension credit. I'd advise a visit to his local CAB for a full benefits check before your daughter claims carers allowance for him.
    OK, I understand that. But, if she claimed carers allowance would it affect my circumstances?
  • poppy123456
    Her benefits won't affect yours. She must also be caring for him for at least 35 hours per week.
  • poppy123456
    Doesn't that only apply if the carer lives with the person they are caring for?
  • wild_one
    Doesn't that only apply if the carer lives with the person they are caring for?
    Sooooooo? If my daughter claims carers allowance and doesnt live with my dad he will lose his single persons CT discount?
  • poppy123456
    No because he lives alone.
  • wild_one
  • wild_one
    I asked my dad if he was claiming the 'severe disability premium', he said "no, he has enough money to live on?"

Bless him?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.