Moving from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from DLA to PIP

persephone
persephone Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone
I have been on DLA for a number of years (15 plus) due to complex and varied MH conditions. I have just received the letter saying that I have to apply for PIP.
Apart from the sheer terror of going through yet another assessment and all the anxieties that go along with disclosing very painful aspects of my life, my biggest concern is my lack of "evidence" to support any claim I make.
As you are aware, over the years, MH provision has been cut dramatically so the support I have had in the past (i.e. CPN, Social Worker, community support worker, counsellor etc) has just disappeared. I now only have the support of my GP who doesn't know half of what I go through on a daily basis.
I have reached a stage where I feel so unimportant to the world and made to feel so guilty for claiming benefits that I'm ready to give up fighting. I'm already convinced that I am a worthless person, so why would I put myself through having that confirmed by a government department?
I don't mean to 'trigger' anyone nor do I wish to sound like a drama queen. I just wish that the "powers that be" understood that making a claim is more than asking for financial help, it's also about validating the claimant as a valued member of society

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @persephone and welcome

One thing you should do is to ask for your DLA award and information to be taken into account. You should do this when you make the phonecall, DWP should ask you but sometimes it gets overlooked so make sure that you ask
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • persephone
    persephone Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you CockneyRebel
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @persephone welcome to the community! All the best with your transition and please let us know if you have any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • yingtong
    yingtong Community member Posts: 37 Pioneering
    I transferred from DLA to PIP in May 2017 and I was 68 years old and got a 10 year award with enhanced on both,Age UK gave me tremendous help with the form fill!Try not to worry to much,I know that's easier said than done.Good Luck
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    I moved from DLA to PIP when I was 66 in 2015 and the assessment report was a pack of lies. Said I did things that didn't happen, said I said things when I didn't and even said that I walked into the assessment room quickly and on my own and looked comfortable and at ease. My wife was with me, I shuffle with a stick for balance and was pretty angry in having to have the assessment despite sending in evidence. I didn't get an award NIL points but was awarded it by the Tribunal.
    I have never had any help whatsoever with the PIP claims and re-assessments or Tribunal I just struggle though the system the best way I can.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @persephone and welcome to the community.
    Obviously the prospect of an assessment can seem overwhelming. The process can feel degrading and many will say it does absolutely nothing for anyone's self-esteem. However, you are a worthwhile person and as a member of our community we'll do everything we can to support you through the experience, whether that means providing advice, or just being here to talk to you ahead of the assessment and in the aftermath of the whole thing.
    Please keep in touch about how this all goes and if you have any questions or just need to chat, don't hesitate to let us know.

Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.