Panic attacks, anxiety, medication and PIP - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Panic attacks, anxiety, medication and PIP

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited May 2019
    @sheZZa I wish I had recovered from them, I wouldn't be suffering on a daily basis! I would probably be out doing the care work I wanted to do for years. 

I have headaches 24/7 they ended up putting them down to Vertigo but I think there's a bit more to them than that. They say it's part of FM but I don't know, I have problems with my neck and ears as well.. I've tried to get help with them (along with a  lot of other health problems) but no luck just like the mental health problems.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    sheZZa said:
    @KEE
    The DWP are not expert in anything.
    I agree but it's not the DWP that write the reports, it's the HCPs and the case manager/decision maker relies heavily on that report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KEE
    KEE Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
  • sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    None of them have the knowledge and experience of medical conditions and the impact a disability can have on a person. Hopefully one day the system will change for the better xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    They don't need that knowledge because all conditions affect people differently. What might affect one person, may not affect another. You can have a disability but still not be entitled to PIP because if those descriptors don't fit you then you won't score the points for an award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheZZa
    I understand what you are saying but I disagree. I think they do need some knowledge. Disabilities do affect everyone differently and as such not everyone will need or be entitled to pip  but an assessor should have some insight into what a person has been diagnosed with and how it may affect them. Part of my disability is an eroded TVTO which is extremely painful and very debilitating. The assessor admitted she didn’t know what it was and so ignored it and just concentrated on depression and how suicidal have I been. She was only interested in my mental health probably because she could not fit anything else into the descriptors and would have had some light training in that condition. I also have a CSF Leak, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and Bipolar. I find them all very debilitating and hard to live with. Altogether it is very complex and the conditions overlap one another. . My assessor did not have a clue about CSF Leaks either and the questions which she read from her script were not appropriate for her to gain the information she needed to make an informed and honest report. Had she been knowledgeable I am sure the assessment would have been more positive and she would not have been irritated by me and continually press me for answers when I struggled to answer her questions. My previous assessor, a paramedic, four years ago, had an understanding of all my illnesses and the impact they may have on a person. Needless to say, she wrote a good report and I was awarded higher rate for both daily living and mobility immediately. This time I am expecting to request a mandatory reconsideration. 
  • sheZZa
    @WF2k
    would you pm me please to discuss your headaches? 
  • [Deleted User]
    Sure :) I dropped you a pm the other day as I recall :)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2019
    I have to agree with @sheZZa this has pretty much happened to me, I'm not going to go on because I feel like I'm repeating myself and ranting.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
      psychiatrist suggested that I try Lithium 
    Wow that brings back memories!
    I was on that stuff along with other anti psychotic medication for about 5 years. The side effects, symptoms and compulsory blood tests were so bad that I ended up back under section. Eventually I managed to drop off their radar system, cut back on the quantity of the drugs and supplemented everything with up to 6 litres of cider a day + whiskey. That lasted another 12 months or so until I ended up in hospital with Acute Pancreatitis caused by the excessive alcohol and prescription drugs.

You did the right thing. Lithium and other meds they mix it with is a godamned nightmare. 
  • sheZZa
    @twonker
    I refused the lithium as I have enough going on without the side effects of that as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Lol @sheZZa check your inbox XD

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.